A Question in the Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPC'n

Puritan Board Doctor
I"m reading through the catechism, and I've stumbled over a question i'm unsure about. I thought I would ask for some help here. Below is the question the catechism is asking.

Which of these is correct: "The image of God is in man", or "Man is the image of God", or "The soul contains the image of God." Why did you choose the one you did?

I don't think the last one is right at all. The first just doesn't sound right. The second one is the one I choose, but I can't give a reason as to why I think it's right. So I need to know if I picked the right one and it would be nice to know why it's the right one and why the other two are incorrect. Thanks!

Last edited:
Didn't Calvin identify the image with the soul? In any case, I am not sure what #3 even means. What does it mean for a soul, being an immaterial entity, to contain something? "Container" language usually connotes spatial objects. We can speak of the soul having hierarchies and capacities--indeed, we must, but I don't know what "containing" is supposed to supply.

With that said, with Richard Muller I would see the soul has having rationality/intellect and will/volition. And that is certainly related to the image of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back