A String of Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Puritan Board Freshman
If you are baptist and have read "A String of Pearls Unstrung A Theological Journey into Believers' Baptism" by Fred A. Malone, do you think that he does a good job in presenting the covenantal reformed baptist view of believers' only baptism? What are somethings that could be added to it if not?

I haven't read that in a while. What are your thoughts about it?

As one might expect given the title, it's much more of a critical examination of Reformed paedobaptism than it is a positive (much less exhaustive) case for Baptist covenant theology. (That's my recollection, at least.) In his Summary of Christian Doctrine, Louis Berkhof states that the case for infant baptism rests on a number of considerations or inferences. Malone's aim in this little book is to show that these considerations are invalid, hence the title.

I think Dr. Malone's Baptism of Disciples Alone gets into what you are looking for.

He pastors in Clinton, LA, which I think is probably not much more than an hour from where you are.

He pastors in Clinton, LA, which I think is probably not much more than an hour from where you are.

I did not realize that he was that close to me until I looked at a map.

I haven't read that in a while. What are your thoughts about it?

If he handled the texts faithfully (though I know people in both camps may disagree), I thought he was spot on. He answered a lot of the questions I have had concerning the credo-only side. I have been studying the issue for some time. I always seem to be convinced but never convicted when it comes to both sides, though I believe that I lean towards the cred-only side.

If you are baptist and have read "A String of Pearls Unstrung A Theological Journey into Believers' Baptism" by Fred A. Malone, do you think that he does a good job in presenting the covenantal reformed baptist view of believers' only baptism? What are somethings that could be added to it if not?

I found Malone's book THE BAPTISM OF DISCIPLES ALONE to be helpful. You might also want to consider FROM PAEDOBAPTISM TO CREDOBAPTISM A CRITIQUE OF THE WESTMINSTER STANDARDS ON THE SUBJECT OF BAPTISM by Dr. Gary Crampton.

It is a good start, as far as it goes. You would need to also get your hands on THE BAPTISM OF DISCIPLES ALONE and also a baptist covenant theology work like Coxe, COVENANT THEOLOGY - ADAM TO Christ and Williamson, FROM THE GARDEN OF EDEN TO THE GLORY OF HEAVEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back