Advent in Psalms 40, 41: Though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Advent in Psalms 40, 41: Though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor

A new song given. A song of destruction, deliverance and delight
A song with a twist, a psalm with a twist.
Mizmor L'David Psalms of David, all others
L'David Mizmor David's Psalm, only this
Lament then praise, the usual pattern
Praise then Lament with some praise, this
A song of the blessed man, a poor man

And a song of patience and long waiting.
I waited patiently for the LORD He heard me cry, he saved me from the pit of destruction
And then God working, action-verbed me, the object of his inclining ear,
hearing, remembering, delivering,
drawing, lifting, song gifting.

In the unusual place of being lifted out of muddy slime from pit horrible, and set on rock, delight meets delight.
"In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, I delight to do your will. And you delight in me
Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”
May God delight in saving me

The song echoes back from a thousand years later. From the book of Hebrews echoing and amplifying Psalm 40.

For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Consequently, when Christ[a] came into the world, he said,
“Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
but a body have you prepared for me;
in burnt offerings and sin offerings
you have taken no pleasure.
Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’”
When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

A burnt offering. A total offering, totally consumed. A body prepared. Take all of me.
A body prepared that experienced the totality of the temptations of those the offering is meant for

The song continues, rising hopefully, confidently: “As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me.”
“You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!”
God's has thought of me. Lament tempered with hope

Psalm 41 amplifies, but the identify of the poor man continues to be not in doubt in apostles' minds. Poor in the sense of weak, sick, troubled.

God is with them, making their beds even in their helpless state when they cannot.
The wicked doubts their resurrection from trouble

Taunted by Aha's, Aha Aha! ringing through passion descriptions in the Psalms
They open wide their mouths against me; they say, “Aha, Aha! Our eyes have seen it!” Psalm 35:21
Let those be appalled because of their shame who say to me, “Aha, Aha!” Psalm 40:15
Let them turn back because of their shame who say, “Aha, Aha!” Psalm 70:3

Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the LORD delivers him As for me, I said, “O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you!” My enemies say of me in malice

They say, “A deadly thing is poured out on him;
he will not rise again from where he lies.”
Even my close friend in whom I trusted,
who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.

An irony - Judas, the one thought to be helping poor men was set out to harm the one who became a poor man

Scoffer's refuted on a level of fact.
"By this I know that you delight in me: my enemy will not shout in triumph over me. But you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence forever."

Decisively delivered.
Set on a rock in Psalm 40
Set in your presence forever in Psalm 41

He who was rich became poor. He who knew no sin became sin.
That we might be rich. That we might become the righteousness of God in him.
Made sin. Made poor. Born in a borrowed place. Laid in an animal feeding trough. No place to lay his head. Buried in a borrowed tomb

The poor will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the Lord will praise him— may your hearts live forever! Psalm 22:36

And David’s first book of Psalms ends with Psalm 40 and 41. It began with the blessed man with two Psalms. It ends now with a blessed but poor man. Book ended, bounded by a blessed man, recognized as Messianic by New Testament writers it includes care for the poor and the blessed man himself being poor.

The Psalm of the expansive godly reign, hyperbolic in Solomon and reality in Christ speaks of justice for the poor in Psalm 72

I waited patiently for the LORD He heard me cry, he saved me from the pit of destruction
And the blessed but poor man is at the right hand of God in Psalm 109 and told in Psalm 110 to sit at his right side until the Lord makes his enemies a foot rest.

The blessed man returns in book 5, bounding before and after the Hallal songs sung for Passover with Psalm 112 and Psalm 119.
Psalm 112:9 He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor.
Quoted by Corinthians, applied to Christ and leading into the Passover songs with Psalm 113:7 He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap.

23 places in the book of Psalms concern the poor.
At least 4 Psalms have the writer describing himself as poor.
The blessed man and poor somehow tethered.

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back