Anglican Primates Suspend the Episcopal Church (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knowledge of the Whigs in US history is limited. I know they were supplanted by the formation of the Republican party, and much of its support came from former Whigs. Beyond that, I don't know exactly what a "progressive Whig" would be, and especially not if the term has meaning in British politics apart from whatever it means/meant in American history.

So the Whigs were a British political party (from which the American political party later took its name). In the 19th century, Whiggism was the name for a political and historical philosophy that believed that proggress was inevitable and that the enlightened (that is, upper-class liberal British people) had a duty to educate, tutor, and enlighten those unfortunate enough to be ignorant, whether ignorant Yorkshiremen, ignorant Boers, ignorant Zulus, or ignorant Indians and Chinese. Free trade and western institutions were clearly the best, so it was justified to impose them on other people at home and abroad. That's what I'm referring to.

My knowledge of the Whigs in US history is limited. I know they were supplanted by the formation of the Republican party, and much of its support came from former Whigs. Beyond that, I don't know exactly what a "progressive Whig" would be, and especially not if the term has meaning in British politics apart from whatever it means/meant in American history.

So the Whigs were a British political party (from which the American political party later took its name). In the 19th century, Whiggism was the name for a political and historical philosophy that believed that proggress was inevitable and that the enlightened (that is, upper-class liberal British people) had a duty to educate, tutor, and enlighten those unfortunate enough to be ignorant, whether ignorant Yorkshiremen, ignorant Boers, ignorant Zulus, or ignorant Indians and Chinese. Free trade and western institutions were clearly the best, so it was justified to impose them on other people at home and abroad. That's what I'm referring to.

That sounds almost like the dictionary definition of liberal republicanism these days. The "moderates" are in favor of free enterprise and constitutional liberties, but, lacking a moral guidance, they are in a habit of simply adopting a less extreme version of whatever the far left is presently agitating for. They aren't true conservatives in that sense, they are moderately progressive. So I can see how the term 'Whig' even now may apply to portions of the American political climate as well.

Thanks for the simple explanation. How would you distinguish the term 'Whig' from 'Progressive' or is there no such distinction in British politics (i.e. the term 'progressive' is more of an American phenomenon?)

How would you distinguish the term 'Whig' from 'Progressive'

Whig is no longer a current political term so much as a mild perjorative, usually seen in contemporary academic disdain for "Whig history." Whiggism is generally no longer adhered to because it is (rightly) seen as a kind of cultural and historical snobbery. Think of someone who takes liberal positions while being personally stuffy and disdainful.

My use of the term was simply to point out that new proggressives are not all that different. They may pretend that imperialism is over, yet they cast judgment over the supposed backwardness of the majority world.

Liberal media knows they will be racist if they attack africans

No, African American v. African, the African American will be favored by the media. Given the other issue involved, and the ECUSA is holding a high card and a trump card over the African bishops as far as the media is concerned.

Liberal media knows they will be racist if they attack africans

No, African American v. African, the African American will be favored by the media. Given the other issue involved, and the ECUSA is holding a high card and a trump card over the African bishops as far as the media is concerned.

Yes and no. The way that the Western media has been spinning this, for a while, is that the African stance is the result of western backing and funding, assumed to be from those darn fundies in America. Thus the opposition to actual cultural imperialism (by western liberals) is being portrayed as being a product of western neo-colonialist fundies.

The reality is that African churches have become mostly self-sufficient in the last thirty years, and are now getting to the point where they can do without the western funding--mostly from TEC.

I providentially encountered this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUUKXCTuZg

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby says he sometimes doubts God's existence. Neither does he have an answer to the problem of pain. And is apparently pretty irreverent in his private prayer life -- all by his own admission.

How do you pronounce "Primates" in such a way that others don't think you are talking about baboons? Does it help to use an English accent that makes the "i" really short?

"Pr'mats".

Funny you should mention that point. The minister of my congregation was explaining to people what was meant by Primates and he said "It does not refer to monkeys, but you might get more sense out of monkeys than some of these primates." :p

You can read my minister's comments on this issue here. It is good to sit under a man with the back-bone to fight against evil within his own denomination.

Peter Jensen (whom the Revd Winzer might know) spoke out on this issue when he was visiting Belfast in June (see here). Regretfully, I was in London at the time this meeting was going on, though I did meet Dr Jensen the Sabbath immediately after it took place.

Yes and no. The way that the Western media has been spinning this, for a while, is that the African stance is the result of western backing and funding, assumed to be from those darn fundies in America. Thus the opposition to actual cultural imperialism (by western liberals) is being portrayed as being a product of western neo-colonialist fundies.

That seems a bit ironic with movements like Anglican Mission in the Americas being initiated by an African bishop.

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby says he sometimes doubts God's existence. Neither does he have an answer to the problem of pain. And is apparently pretty irreverent in his private prayer life -- all by his own admission.

Have you ever seen the movies where one major character is straddling the fence? Then there is a plot turn where all the bad guys get arrested et al. He doesn't want to identify with the good guys yet he doesn't oppose the move. That's Welby

Have you ever seen the movies where one major character is straddling the fence? Then there is a plot turn where all the bad guys get arrested et al. He doesn't want to identify with the good guys yet he doesn't oppose the move. That's Welby

...or he doesn't want to identify with the bad guys publicly but privately oposses the move. Call me a cynic.

That seems a bit ironic with movements like Anglican Mission in the Americas being initiated by an African bishop.

Exactly. The Anglican realignment movement, of which AMiA and ACNA are major players, has largely been instigated and supported from Rwanda, Nigeria, Uganda, and Kenya.

...or he doesn't want to identify with the bad guys publicly but privately oposses the move. Call me a cynic.

Of course he opposes the move. But he's also smart enough to know he is currently out-matched. He probably also realizes that Luciferians like Schorri did so much bad PR damage to TEC that perhaps some chastisement is in order.

Of course he opposes the move.

That's debatable, actually. Abp Welby is on record opposing SSM politically and has strong relationships with the global south, which is part of why he was able to get them to the table in the first place. He has also tacitly endorsed Gafcon on numerous occasions. He's not as strident as one might hopw, but most of the accounts I've heard place him as more, not less, conservative than he lets on.

It's also helpful to remember that Abp Welby's first Protestant predecessor was similarly forced to act less stridently than he would have wished, due to the political climate.

Abp Welby's first Protestant predecessor

Not quite sure what you are trying to say there. Are you referring to Carey and using Protestant to exclude Williams because of his ties to the Druids? Or by first Protestant are you referring to Matthew Parker, or Cramner?

Not quite sure what you are trying to say there. Are you referring to Carey and using Protestant to exclude Williams because of his ties to the Druids? Or by first Protestant are you referring to Matthew Parker, or Cramner?

Referring to Abp Cranmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back