Basic Greek question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseM

Puritan Board Freshman
Does the first Greek declension have any nouns that are neuter? I'm using Elementary Greek with my kids and when I went to check their work, the answer key has the noun epangelion(sorry I can't type that properly) as being Neuter, Plural, Genitive, translation -of the promises. Both children placed this noun in the feminine category based on it being a first declension noun. I would have thought so also. I'm confused. Is this just an error in the answer key?

επαγγελιων should be feminine, plural, and genitive. First declension nouns are masculine or feminine, not neuter. So, unless I'm crazy too, I think your answer key is erroneous.

I'm far from expert but epaggelion itself is strange and should not appear at all as the verb epaggelia is 2nd Declension feminine. Epaggeliav would be feminine singular accusative which would be the nearest to the form you mention so that might be where the error has crept in. Neuter plural Genitive of anything should end exactly as Bryan writes.

επαγγελιων should be feminine, plural, and genitive. First declension nouns are masculine or feminine, not neuter. So, unless I'm crazy too, I think your answer key is erroneous.
Thanks, Bryan. We've caught a couple of other little errors with the answer key here and there, but it's good to know that at least were learning enough along the way to realize that they are errors.

We should mark those and notify the publisher when complete with the studies.
"ok... perhaps it's really so that there is less confusion when I get off my tail and try to learn..."
:scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back