Best books on Assurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Admittedly, I am not well read on assurance. What are some good books on the subject? I have heard differing views, one is by the fruit of the spirit or works while others say by the Holy Spirit giving you a personal assurance. I'd like the discern between the views.

Some of my favorite quotes on the subject by Brooks (from the preface of Heaven on Earth):

"It is one thing for me to have grace, it is another thing for me to see my grace; it is one thing for me to believe, and another thing for me to believe that I do believe; it is one thing for me to have faith, and another thing for me to know that I have faith."

"Assurance is not the essence of a Christian. It is required to the bene esse, to the well-being, to the comfortable and joyful being of a Christ; but it is not required to the esse, to the being of a Christian. A man may be a true believer, and yet would give all the world, were it in his power, to know that he is a believer. To have grace, and to be sure that we have grace, is glory upon the throne, it is heaven on this side heaven."

Haven't read the whole book myself. But reading such mouth-watering statements makes me greatly desire to do so.

Berkhof has a little book called The Assurance of Faith which like all Berkhof is lucid and competent. My favorite writing on the topic is "To the Reader" in Thomas Goodwin's Christ Set Forth. You can find that in volume 4 of his works, or published separately online and in print.

JC Ryle Assurance. If you are dealing with someone who is struggling with the issue, Richard Sibbs Bruised Reed wiuld be a soothing balm. From an academic perspective, Jonathan Edwards Religious Affections should be thoroughly understood.

Berkhof's assurance of faith is solid. So is Donald Whitney's book on assurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back