Books on Southern Presbyterian History

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I just bought ET Thompson's third volume of "Presbyterians in the South." I was hoping to find a good source on the history of the Reformed faith in the Southern US, but what I found was a liberal (and I knew he was one) presenting a polemic for liberalism and ecumenicity in the south, and against "fundamentalism". I'm very tempted to turn around and sell it again. Anyone have any good books on Southern Pres history? (General, not just "How is the Gold Become Dim" which is excellent.

The third is the worst of the three for that; it's a standard resource set however if you can get the other two volumes.

If you will scroll down to the PCUS section on this page, a bibliography on church histories PCA Historical Center: A Bibliography for Reading in Presbyterian Church History
there is a link to Thomas Cary Johnson's history of the PCUS in pdf format. [Well, actually, it's a link to another page, PCA Historical Center: E-Books, where you'll find links to the chapters of that work]

This book is excellent. Pity it didn't go further into history, but the guy wasn't a prophet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back