Challenging Verses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles strive after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you. Matt. 6:31-33

See, there is with you Shimei the son of Gera the Benjamite, of Bahurim. It was he who spoke bad words against me on the day I went to Mahanaim. But when he came down to me at the Jordan, I promised him by the Lord, saying, ‘I will not put you to death with the sword.’ So do not let him go without being punished. For you are a wise man. You will know what you should do to him. Bring his gray hair down to the grave with blood.” 1 Kings 2:8-9

Why would David promise something, but hold this grudge to the point he seeks retribution through his offspring? If he thought the punishment just, why not do it himself? It seems David is pushing his son to become a "man of blood" just as he is, by committing acts of violence as his first official decrees?

Then he called for Solomon his son and charged him to build a house for the Lord, the God of Israel. David said to Solomon, “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the Lord my God. But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth. Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days. He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.’ 1 Chron. 22:6-10

Last edited:
Challenging exegetically: Isaiah 26:19
Challenging to faith: 2 Corinthians 2:11
Challenging to teach in our current climate: Ecclesiastes 7:28
Challenging theologically: Mark 12:34

A life challenge:
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
James 1:2‭-‬3

A few:

1) 2 Peter 2:1 - false teachers bought by the Master
2) The relationship between Revelation 19 and 20. - recapitulation in 20:1 or no?
3) 1 Peter 3:18-22 - the classic

Matthew 27:53
53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus' resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

I Corinthians 15:29, idea of "baptism for the dead" being one with little agreement among commentators which has inspired weird usage by cults.

Jude 1:14ff, especially the use of Enoch and how we think about such a strange book being cited in the Scriptures.

I Timothy 2:12 and I Corinthians 14:34 are honorable mentions as this is a topic that is a sensitive topic in our world today. There's at least a bit of difficult with the Corinthians passage as we do see women speaking in some contexts in the Corinthian church earlier in the epistle.

Last edited:
Gill & Poole disagree. They conclude Matthias. Others suggest, since Paul and Barnabas (Acts 14:14) were also given the hand of Apostleship (as others) 12 does not denote an definite number, but a semblance to all the Apostles (or those worthy of the title) judging in such a way (Pulpit Commentary.) I still dont know, the thought just came to me at work and I thought of this post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back