Christians Watching the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Super Bowl is not a duty of necessity or mercy.

But to be consistent one should not use electricity, running water or a whole host of other things that are not necessary for 99% of us.

Unless we are just going to be arbitrary in deciding what we should abstain from?

I need to repent of this post. The Super Bowl is obviously a violation of the 4th commandment. My above post came out of a heart that was rebelling against what I knew to be the truth, that Sunday is a day set aside for resting in the Lord, for worshipping Him and learning more of His boundless grace and truth.

Please forgive me and thank you all for the instructive posts.

I'm not trying to be cheeky, but I was told by someone that electricity is not a necessity (in relation to the Sabbath). Their reasoning was that technological progress shouldn't negate keeping the Sabbath. Ergo, working at a power plant is not truly a work of necessity. Perhaps the person who told me that was straining at gnats, but it does give pause to consider whether the attitude one has towards the Sabbath is at least equal to its outward observance.

Interesting thoughts but electricity is a necessity for someone hooked to a ventilator.

It doesn't give me pause and it's not a convincing argument. It also maligns the kindness of the Lord and errs in thinking the command is simply ceasing from activity. The Lord in commanding a day to set aside for His worship did not do so expecting us to be as deprived and miserable as possible. Modern advancements are a blessing and require far fewer to labor for the benefit of many than if everyone were devoting time themselves to providing the basics for their houses. Or do we really want to go back to tending our own fires to heat the house, coal fired bedwarmers in cold climates, and chamber pots; and in reference to Zack's point, let loved one's die when we get tired hand pumping a ventilator?
I'm not trying to be cheeky, but I was told by someone that electricity is not a necessity (in relation to the Sabbath). Their reasoning was that technological progress shouldn't negate keeping the Sabbath. Ergo, working at a power plant is not truly a work of necessity. Perhaps the person who told me that was straining at gnats, but it does give pause to consider whether the attitude one has towards the Sabbath is at least equal to its outward observance.

It doesn't give me pause and it's not a convincing argument. It also maligns the kindness of the Lord and errs in thinking the command is simply ceasing from activity. The Lord in commanding a day to set aside for His worship did not do so expecting us to be as deprived and miserable as possible. Modern advancements are a blessing and require far fewer to labor for the benefit of many than if everyone were devoting time themselves to providing the basics for their houses. Or do we really want to go back to tending our own fires to heat the house, coal fired bedwarmers in cold climates, and chamber pots; and in reference to Zack's point, let loved one's die when we get tired hand pumping a ventilator?

These are important remarks. That a power plant security guard (who incidentally may be praying and working to get as many Lord's Days off as possible) would be thought of the same way as a Super Bowl devotee is beyond me.

Bill, Much has changed since Westminster in terms of what is a work of necessity. Technological progress has produced areas of necessity that were unknown in the middle of the 17th century. A power plant would fall in this category. The loss of electricity can have a major impact in areas that are clearly issues of necessity such as life saving equipment at hospitals, and fire and police communications.

One may even take it a bit further in considering the minister. Vinet says, "Only let me remind young candidates of the apostle’s remark, “Let no man despise thy youth,” (1 Tim. 4:12). Notwithstanding the form, this is truly a command. And, again, the apostle was careful to say to Timothy, “Flee youthful lusts,” (2 Tim. 2:22). This was the only means of securing his youth against contempt; and we may suppose that these restrictions were more seasonable in youth than afterward. We must take care of indulgence on the side to which we are already propense. There are amusements which we must renounce. The chase (gamed hunting based on dress), gaming, the theatre; under a certain form, music, and, in general, a passionate taste for any art. None of these things are seemly in a minister; the effect upon him will not be good, and it will expose him to censure." If the minister is to think this way, then, why not the Christian of which the minster is one first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back