Churches in Jerusalem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am wrestling through church government and was wondering how many congregations were in Jerusalem in the book of Acts. Do you think there were multiple congregations or just one congregation, or some other option? Thanks.
"In Christ",
Bobby

There was definately more than one congregation in the church of Jerusalem. The multitude of believers and the diversity of languages would have necessitated several congregations for the proper administration of church discipline and dispensing of the ordinances. The presence of a great number of officers further demonstrates the fact. The "megachurch", where ministers dont even know the names of their congregants, is a totally unbiblical concept.

1.The multitude of believers 1.Before the Ascension: John the Baptist ministry fruitful (Mt 3:5-7; Lk 16:16); Jesus made more disciples then John (Jn 4:1-2); many believed (Jn 12:11); the world gone after Him (Jn 12:19); 110,000 people in Jerusalem 2.After the Ascension: 500 saw Him at Resurrection 1 Cor 15:6; 120; at election of Matthias 120 (Act 1:15); Peter's 1st sermon 3000 (Act 2:41); daily believers multiplied (Act 2:27; 5:14); 2nd Sermon 5000 (Act 4:4); Priests convert (6:7) 3.After Dispersion: Churches had rest and multiplied (Acts 12:24); 10 thousands in Jerusalem (Acts 21:20) 2.The multitude of Church officers: All Apostles (Acts 1:12-14,26); Apostles and Elders (Acts 15:2ff), etc. 3.The variety of languages necessitated believers to enjoy the ordinances in several distinct congregations in their own language: Jews of every nation heard them speak in their own language (Acts 2:5, 8-12). 4.The manner of public meetings, in houses, chambers or upper rooms (Acts 2:46; 1:12-14; 12:12; 19:19; 20:8; etc.) could no way hold so many believers at once.

Peter,
Thanks for the response. Have you read "The Divine Right of Church Government"? Your answer was almost vebatim. I'm reading it now, and was really curious what independents say about this.

Yes. It has greatly influenced my thinking. The syllogism and scriptures are from Jus Divinum, Naphtali Press ed. a great deal for around $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back