Classical alius/aliud distinction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
See if I can break the new board with one of my research questions....:hunter:
Is it is a good use of the word classical in the below? I found one author who uses the phrase and so I may be copycating him. Is there a better term like traditional? Durham simply says "common".
"And therefore, though the Father be another person and aluis, as they commonly speak, yet He is not another thing, or aliud, but the same God with the Son and Holy Ghost."2
2. [“… so the Father is alius, another from the Son, and each of Them from other; but He is not aliud, or another thing, but the same.” On Revelation, Excurses 1: “Concerning the Holy Trinity and Object of Worship.” This is the classical alius/aliud distinction. “Aliud et aliud sunt ea ex quibus Salvator est, non alius autem et alius. Dico vero aliud et aliud e contrario quam in Trinitate habet. Ibi enim alius et alius dicimus, ut non subsistentias confundamus; non aliud autem et aliud” (cf. Gregory Nazianzen, Epistle 101, PG 37, 180). “Gregory Nazianzen writes, In the Saviour we may find the one and the other, but not one person and another. I say the one thing and the other in contrast to what is taught of the Trinity. Of it we may say ‘one person and another’—not confusing the hypostases—but not the ‘one thing and another’.” Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiæ: Volume 48, The Incarnate Word: 3a. 1-6, ed. R. J. Hennessey (Cambridge University Press, 2006), 50, 51.

Perhaps "the ancient [theological] distinction" ?

Or possibly "a standard alius/aliud, personal/impersonal distinction" ?

I'm speaking dangerously here, because I am no Latinist.

Bruce is right. The persons in the Trinity are not aliud et aliud (one thing and another thing); they are themselves one thing, properly speaking. The persons of the Trinity, however, may be spoken of as alius et alius (one person and another person). If you have Richard Muller's Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms, you will find an entry on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back