Colossians 1 and the Reconciliation of Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
How are we to understand Paul's language about the reconciliation of "things in heaven (τὰ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς)?" Most commentators recognize that the things in heaven refer to spiritual beings (i.e., angels); however, most seem to shun the implication that this means that fallen angels can be redeemed (mostly for unconvincing reasons, at least to me). Calvin, for instance, speaks of Christ being mediator of the unfallen angels by giving to them a confirming grace such that they can no longer fall. Interesting as that is, that does not really seem to be reconciliation to me.

Any help with the exegesis of the passage? It has been gnawing on me for some time.

It properly relates to elect people. Either (1) heaven refers to those who have already died under the Old Testament, and the earth refers to saints still living on earth. Or (2) more likely, it is reflecting on the language of the Jews being children of heaven and the Gentiles children of the earth, and these are reconciled by the law of ordinances being taken out of the way. This would parallel the reunification of Ephesians 1 and the believing Jew-Gentile unification of Ephesians 2.

Last edited:
Rev. Winzer, thank you for that perspective on it. It is definitely different than from what I have seen some commentators have said, but it makes since in light of the relationship between Ephesians and Colossian. That seems like a rather sane interpretation. If one grants they are angels or hierarchies of angels, the least forced interpretation is that God has reconciled fallen angels.

I have wondered, could not that refer to earthly government and political leaders? Are not kings sometimes referred to as stars in the heavens, and 'stars falling from heaven' to be indicitive of political upheaval amongst the nations?

I haven't studied it as a possibility for myself yet.

Although in truth; your problem with this text should not start with 'in heaven' but rather with 'all things'. Fallen angels are not the only things not reconciled; also unredeemed sinners, so how can we consider all things to be reconciled?

I have also thought that possibly the reconciliation of this passage does not necessarily require a redemptive reality; only that what was far off and separated from God will now be brought near through Christ. It is through Christ that the redeemed saints and renewed creation will be brought forever into God's gracious presence; and that it is also through Christ that the wicked men and angels will be brought into the forever presence of God for judgment.
And thus all things reconciled. His vessels of mercy reconciled to him and his vessels of dishonor reconciled to him; both gathered up through Christ; for God to have his desired way with each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back