Free Riddlebarger ebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi David,

As a lifelong Southern Baptist, I'd never even heard of Confessions until a PCA pastor friend remarked in passing, "You don't know your Confessions at all, do you?" and I replied, "I don't know my whats...???" I literally had no idea what he was talking about, though I'm a PK and my dad is seminary trained.

Hi David,

As a lifelong Southern Baptist, I'd never even heard of Confessions until a PCA pastor friend remarked in passing, "You don't know your Confessions at all, do you?" and I replied, "I don't know my whats...???" I literally had no idea what he was talking about, though I'm a PK and my dad is seminary trained.

Is your father a 1689er also if I may ask?

Hi Zack,

No, my dad is most decidedly not Reformed. A deeply godly man, with a great heart for the Scriptures and the souls of men; but emphatically not a Calvinist.

Daniel,

I'm just a cheapskate. :wink: Ha ha!

@Reagan, I bet you've had some great discussions though.

@Daniel, I asked him some time ago for other free stuff like groceries and gas. So far nothing but I still appreciate the books.

Hi David,

Do you follow the 1689, or fo you take the Baptist statement of faith/practices 2000?

Hi David,

I am confessionally committed to the 1689 and the SBTS Abstract of Principles. Given those convictions as regards doctrinal particulars, I presently work under the auspices of the BFM 2000 as regards the generalities. In other words,, I'm a reformed pastor in a non-reformed church.

Hi David,

I am confessionally committed to the 1689 and the SBTS Abstract of Principles. Given those convictions as regards doctrinal particulars, I presently work under the auspices of the BFM 2000 as regards the generalities. In other words,, I'm a reformed pastor in a non-reformed church.

What are the SBTS Abstract of Principles? So you are a SBC Reformed pastor, so does your church hold to the 1689 Confession formally, as by all of your elders also, or are you more under the general SBC statement of Faith?
Don't think ever met a reformed pastor in a SBC chuch.... Are you like I currently am, agreeing with Reformed views on Sotierology, but also Baptist in regarding persnal convictions of other faith areas then?

Hi David,

The Abstract of Principles is the first confession of faith ever produced by Southern Baptists, and is the charter document of my alma mater. It proposes to abstract the LBC, while making a concession for the reality in the SBC of Calvinists and non-Calvinists working together.

Our church holds to the BFM 2000, which is a good document sketching out a theologically conservative Baptist position. We are moving toward a plurality of elders, and our elder candidates are all Calvinistic men; but our church is not Reformed.

Re: the BFM 2000, it intentionally puts up a big tent so that there's room for both sides. It can make life interesting at times; I've seen both Reformed and non-Reformed SBC folks be the weird uncle at the family reunion. That being said, I've worked under its auspices for most of the last 16 years of ministry.

My church knows that I am a confessionally Reformed baptist, which means I believe the doctrines of grace + RB covenant theology + LBC + credobaptism. I seek to apply reformed theology to all of life.

Does that answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back