Getting a PhD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering either WSC or Masters Seminary.

Being Presbyterian, why wouldn't you go to WSC?
Sorry I really need to update my Profile.

I would preffer WSC but it's farther away from me than Masters. Not to mention right now I am trying to find a local Presbyterian church and I'm currently attending a non-denominational church.

Masters can be a good choice depending on your need. It's one I'd consider under certain circumstances.

I have a question along these lines. Does anyone know anything about "uncredited" distance doctoral programs such as from Whitefield Seminary or Reformation International Theological Seminary and how good (and worth it) those particular programs would be?

It all depends on one's goals.

What do you want to get from the degree?

Being Presbyterian, why wouldn't you go to WSC?
Sorry I really need to update my Profile.

I would preffer WSC but it's farther away from me than Masters. Not to mention right now I am trying to find a local Presbyterian church and I'm currently attending a non-denominational church.

Masters can be a good choice depending on your need. It's one I'd consider under certain circumstances.

I would like to eventually teach in a seminary or secular school and yes I know that means a PHD. I have tried to see the carrer paths of seminary professors, usually its MDiv but some do MA's I'm thinking about the MA route.

Last edited:
I have a question along these lines. Does anyone know anything about "uncredited" distance doctoral programs such as from Whitefield Seminary or Reformation International Theological Seminary and how good (and worth it) those particular programs would be?

Primarily, to improve my own scholarship as a pastor while doing something beneficial for the church (locally and broadly). I would like to be able to teach on some level someday, but I understand my priorities are with pastoral ministry. And, to be quite frank, I have no background in research languages and at 41 I'm just a wee bit too old to start down that road right now.

Primarily, to improve my own scholarship as a pastor while doing something beneficial for the church (locally and broadly). I would like to be able to teach on some level someday, but I understand my priorities are with pastoral ministry. And, to be quite frank, I have no background in research languages and at 41 I'm just a wee bit too old to start down that road right now.

I think Whitefield could be a good choice. There are others here that can give you a good evaluation of the seminary. I think for your goals it could work as long as you work it. Distance Education can be tough if you're not self-motivated.

I agree with Ivan. If you are looking for a personal improvement to become a better pastor, then a place like Whitefield or Greenville's distance program can be just what the doctor ordered.

I know some on the board prefer classroom vs. distance ed, but I doubt anyone would argue against distance ed. being better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back