Gillespie's Deathbed testimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I read somewhere that George Gillespie suffered doubts on his deathbed? Is there a website that can shed light on this?

Nothing is in Hetheringtom's memoir prefacing the works; you sure you are not thinking of James Durham? I don't recall reading anything like his case in Gillespie. Do you have a source for the suggestion?

Gillespie was firm to the end. See "The Testimony of a Dying Minister of Jesus Christ."

Is it possible you are thinking of Alexander Henderson? There was a forged death-bed repentance of his part in relation to the king. But it was soon exposed as a forgery. And Baillie says something to the effect that he died as he lived.

Thank you. I'll double-check. I read the intro to a Gillespie work on my kindle (it was one of those "buy the complete works for .99 cents on Kindle." My kindle isn't charged at the moment but I will look at it when I get to it.

George Gillespie was a Scottish Presbyterian minister (1613-1648). In his early twenties he wrote the book A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies which landed in Scotland just as the 2nd Reformation was getting started and gave it its theological polemic. On the basis of this book he later was chosen, though barely 30, to send as one of the Scottish commissioners to the Westminster Assembly of Divines, hence he is one of those responsible for the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms. He seems to have been a prodigy, single handedly sealing the coffin on the Erastian theory of church polity. He died at only 36 after only 9 years in the ministry and most of that was at the Westminster Assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back