Holding hands during prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
What is the origin of holding hands during prayer? I usually see this with families at dinner time. Does it have much history in Christian practice?

One suggestion I have just read from an internet search is that holding hands around a table helps to keep a young child's mind focussed so to avoid irreverent behaviour during the giving of thanks.

It's a great question though, and others here will probably have better answers than my quick google.

I think it comes from cultic etiology I have only ever seen people who are in cults hold hands while praying

I think it comes from cultic etiology I have only ever seen people who are in cults hold hands while praying

Of course some "cults" are good. I personally sort of like holding hands with my wife's side of the family before meals, which took me years to acquire a taste to do such, and I rather not hold hands with any other group or "cult" any other time.

An outward expression of the love of the saints? We come to God as individuals and as the body of Christ. Now a forced Kumbia moment at an interfaith service would be another matter.

An outward expression of the love of the saints? We come to God as individuals and as the body of Christ. Now a forced Kumbia moment at an interfaith service would be another matter.

The "Kumbia moment" before meals is indeed sometimes awkward knowing that some are not believers and I personally have a hard time forcing them to hold hands before we give thanks. Though this is something I am getting better at (feelings wise that is). :)

Last edited:

Of course some "cults" are good. I personally sort of like holding hands with my wife's side of the family before meals, which took me years to acquire a taste to do such, and I rather not hold hands with any other group or "cult" any other time.

I knew you were part cultic! ::p:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back