I John 2:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I just learned that the Universal Atonement guys are not really universal. They will say that the wrath of God has been appeased in an individual sense, but the bowls of wrath in Revelation is God's wrath for the sins in a national sense.

The more I listen to dispensationalism, the more confusing it becomes.

Who is "they." Are you referring to personal conversation, classroom discussion, or published works? If the latter, do you have the citation?

Also, universal atonement and dispensationalism do not necessarily correlate. I think you may mean Dallas Seminary dispensationalism specifically, which has tended to be Amryaldian at best. There have been 5 pointer dispensationalists since the beginning e.g. Darby.

Classroom discussion. The prof stated that he believed God's wrath was universally appeased at the cross. I asked about the bowls of wrath in Revelation. He stated that that wrath was a national wrath poured out.

I never understood how he differentiated between individual sins and national sins and why the cross did not propitiate for those national sins.

You are right. I should not have lumped DTS and all Dispensationalists together. It was a brain fart.

I just learned that the Universal Atonement guys are not really universal. They will say that the wrath of God has been appeased in an individual sense, but the bowls of wrath in Revelation is God's wrath for the sins in a national sense.

They could be cleverer than that. The bowls of wrath are temporal judgements not eternal punishment in Hell. Even Christians suffer in this life. Christ didn't die in order to prevent our earthly sufferings otherwise we wouldn't have any. I know they become chastisements rather than judgements if we become Christians.

So if you were a Universal Atonement subscriber you could say that all these judgements were intended to bring the non-Christians to repentance. In fact certain of us Calvinists would argue the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back