Introduction to covenant theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read your whole Bible through several times, brother. And camp out in Romans, Ephesians, and Hebrews for a while while you're reading through the whole Bible. In other words,, read them straight through in one sitting, and then do it again and again.

Romans convinced me of God's sovereignty and pulled me out of dispensationalism; Ephesians made me a Calvinist; and Hebrews made me a Christ-centered exegete. But it takes the context of the whole Bible to make you a covenant theologian. Get that in hand as the matter of primary importance; then come to your secondary works.

I'm not in any way disparaging or discouraging hard theological study; but there is a method of theological study which is of critical importance. To the law and the testimony! Ad fontes!

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonty Rhodes's book yet. His book Covenants Made Simple is absolutely superb. It is the perfect introductory book.

It is the best book on the subject, which is suitable for both beginners and more experienced readers. The British edition is entitled Raiding the Lost Ark.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonty Rhodes's book yet. His book Covenants Made Simple is absolutely superb. It is the perfect introductory book.

It is the best book on the subject, which is suitable for both beginners and more experienced readers. The British edition is entitled Raiding the Lost Ark.

I've never heard of it before, but the theologues at the PB have rarely steered me wrong! It's going on the shopping list.

Jonathan, This might be a strange question but I sense I need to ask it. Have you read the whole Bible yet? It is first important to gain a view of the scriptures from an overall perspective. My Mother was a bank teller. She really was. And I know for a fact that she studied to original to be able to spot counterfeits. I would recommend you first gain a whole view of the whole Counsel of God. Things will fall into place better when you start to think about Covenants between God and Man. That kind of reading made me look for similarities and differences as I read passages that seemed to be out of sorts. It also made me study the word Grace more intently. Grace is more than unmerited favor. I also learned to allow the Bible to speak for itself and testify. Sometimes the Old is explained in the New covenant. Sometimes the Old Testament reveals what the New Covenant means. I would encourage you to first give the whole book a few readings. If you have I am excited for you because you have done more than 99 percent of us have done by your age.

Read your whole Bible through several times, brother. And camp out in Romans, Ephesians, and Hebrews for a while while you're reading through the whole Bible. In other words,, read them straight through in one sitting, and then do it again and again.

Romans convinced me of God's sovereignty and pulled me out of dispensationalism; Ephesians made me a Calvinist; and Hebrews made me a Christ-centered exegete. But it takes the context of the whole Bible to make you a covenant theologian. Get that in hand as the matter of primary importance; then come to your secondary works.

I'm not in any way disparaging or discouraging hard theological study; but there is a method of theological study which is of critical importance. To the law and the testimony! Ad fontes!

I cannot second this advice enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back