Isaiah 66:20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
In Isaiah 66:20, it reads: "And they shall bring all our brothers from all the nations as an offering to the LORD, on horses and in chariots and in litters and on mules and on dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the LORD, just as the Israelites bring their grain offering in a clean vessel to the house of the LORD."

To what is Isaiah referring when he talks about "horses, chariots, litters, etc..."? I recently heard one preacher who argued that this text is referring to the many different ways in which people would be brought to Christ. His application then was to use whatever means possible to bring people to the gospel. This interpretation has obvious theological problems, but I'm wondering how to properly interpret these phrases. Thanks!

Now that I posted the question I think I may have found the answer. Here's Calvin's helpful explanation:

There are some who endeavor to find an allegory here, and who think that the Prophet made use of the word "bring" on this account, that the Gospel does not constraint men by fear, but rather draws them gently, so that of their own accord they betake themselves to God, and run with cheerfulness and joy. But for my own part, I take a simpler view of this passage. Because this doubt might arise in the minds of many persons, "How is it that men shall come to us from countries so distant?" he replies, "Horses, chariots, and carriages shall not be wanting; for the Lord has at his command all that can be of service for assisting his people and conducting them to the end which he has in view." Yet I do not deny that the Gospel may be called a "chariot," because it conveys us to the hope of eternal life; but I think that the Prophet simply declares that nothing shall hinder God from gathering his Church, and that he will have at his command all the necessary means, that none of the elect whom he has called may fail in the middle of the course.

Any thoughts?

on horses and in chariots and in litters and on mules and on dromedaries,

Were these some of the means by which the Jews, until AD 70, travelled to the Lord's holy mountain of Zion, for the three great annual feasts?

on horses and in chariots and in litters and on mules and on dromedaries,

Were these some of the means by which the Jews, until AD 70, travelled to the Lord's holy mountain of Zion, for the three great annual feasts?

Perhaps (although I'd be a bit surprised if your average Jew would use a chariot). The focus of the broader passage is on the future in-gathering of the nations and the last part of Isaiah as a whole seems to be focused on overarching eschatological promises. It would seem strange if this phrase was merely referring to the way that people used to get to the earthly temple. It seems to me that something more is going on here.

Here's what Matthew Henry has to say:

3. That many converts shall hereby be made, v. 20.(1.) They shall bring all your brethren (for proselytes ought to be owned and embraced as brethren) for an offering unto the Lord. God’s glory shall not be in vain declared to them, but they shall be both invited and directed to join themselves to the Lord. Those that are sent to them shall succeed so well in their negotiation that thereupon there shall be as great flocking to Jerusalem as used to be at the time of a solemn feast, when all the males from all parts of the country were to attend there, and not to appear empty. Observe, [1.] The conveniences that they shall be furnished with for their coming. Some shall come upon horses, because they came from far and the journey was too long to travel on foot, as the Jews usually did to their feasts. Persons of quality shall come in chariots, and the aged, and sickly, and little children, shall be brought in litters or covered wagons, and the young men on mules and swift beasts. This intimates their zeal and forwardness to come. They shall spare no trouble nor charge to get to Jerusalem. Those that cannot ride on horseback shall come in litters; and in such haste shall they be, and so impatient of delay, that those that can shall ride upon mules and swift beasts. These expressions are figurative, and these various means of conveyance are heaped up to intimate (says the learned Mr. Gataker) the abundant provision of all those gracious helps requisite for the bringing of God’s elect home to Christ. All shall be welcome, and nothing shall be wanting for their assistance and encouragement. [2.] The character under which they shall be brought. They shall come, not as formerly they used to come to Jerusalem, to be offerers, but to be themselves an offering unto the Lord, which must be understood spiritually, of their being presented to God as living sacrifices, Rom. 12:1 . The apostle explains this, and perhaps refers to it, Rom. 15:16 , where he speaks of his ministering the gospel to the Gentiles, that the offering up, or sacrificing, of the Gentiles might be acceptable. They shall offer themselves, and those who are the instruments of their conversion shall offer them, as the spoils which they have taken for Christ and which are devoted to his service and honour. They shall be brought as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel, with great care that they be holy, purified from sin, and sanctified to God.

From Thomas Boston, "The Evil and Danger of Schism," Works, Volume 7, p. 611:

...the Lord's people are of an uniting and gathering spirit, Isa 66:20, "And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the Lord, out of all nations, upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters,—to my holy mountain." They shall bring them not by force, but by gospel-motives. But some of them are far off; what then? yet they shall bring them. May be they cannot walk; then shall they bring them on horses. May be they are so weak they cannot ride on horses; then they shall get chariots. Some may be so sickly they cannot come in chariots; then they shall come in litters that are for carrying of sick folk. But by all means they will endeavour to bring them to the mountain of the Lord. Some will not concern themselves this way, but let every one do as they please in these matters. But O for this gathering spirit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back