Isaiah, Ezekiel, and a mention of Satan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynteriii

Puritan Board Freshman
[BIBLE]Isaiah 14:12-17[/BIBLE]

[BIBLE]Ezekiel 28:12-17[/BIBLE]

It's been awhile since I've heard that these verses are about Satan but they were brought up by my pastor as he described the Isaiah passage as "The author speaks concerning the king of Babylon and then goes on to a greater reality as well" (I love the "reality" talk). He also wrote "It seems the second lament over the king of Tyre goes beyond him to a greater spiritual reality we have to be aware of and reckon with".

My mind seems to missing the connection. This isn't meant to help me show how right I am and how my pastor is dead wrong. I just would like to here your thoughts on the passage before my weekly meeting with the pastor.

I know that many are not convinced that these passages have a simultaneous reference, one to a human ruler and one to Satan. I myself am still on the fence, and am not yet willing to say that these passages have absolutely nothing to do with Satan. The reason for this is primarily Ezekiel 28:12-15. I really cannot see this as merely a description of the King of Tyre. How could the King of Tyre be said to be in the Garden of Eden? How was he the anointed cherub who was placed by God in the Garden? These are just a few descriptions that seem rather unlikely to be referring to solely the King of Tyre, who historically was minor when compared to the Kings of Babylon, Egypt, and Assyria.

The King of Tyre is an agent of Satan, so the idea that one might see resemblences to Satan's life or even deeper applications of the prophecy that fit Satan is not something to immediately dismiss... though I personally would not teach it as if it were a literal reference to heavenly conflict.

Has your pastor invited you to use your weekly meetings to help him out by critiquing his sermons? If so, you might start by asking him what about those passages convinced him to go with that interpretation, since not all scholars agree. If not, you might ask yourself if this is a case where bringing up a criticism is necessary, constructive, encouraging, motivated by love, springing from a desire for you to learn too, etc.

So study the issue if you're interested. But when it comes to meeting with your pastor, consider letting this one go.

"How to Criticize a Preacher"

I think I'm motivated in love but sometimes I question myself. I have brought things to my pastors attention that I thought did not need privacy and I am constantly rebuked by church members. We both have a want to be open with each other. Pray for me none the less.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back