John the Baptist as the Porter of John 10:2-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkortus

Puritan Board Freshman
In my reading through some curriculum for teaching children, I came across the following:

Do we know what a porter is? ... He is the door-opener. Once, while Jesus was on earth, He called Himself the Shepherd Who comes into the fold of the sheep. He did not sneak over the wall to get in, but he came in at the door, and the porter let Him in. Who was that porter? John the Baptist.

The lesson goes on to explain, that when John baptized Jesus, he opened the door for Jesus to walk through.

I have never heard this interpretation before. Have others encountered this? Is this legitimate?

Thanks

It strikes me as an ultra-fine proposal; it goes beyond the intent of Jesus' teaching. The best one can say for it, is that it attempts to take a detail of Jesus parabolic teaching to offer a particular application (allegedly the application?)

Before Jesus says, "I am the good Shepherd," he says, "I am the door." I'm sure there's a way to make that "fit" with this whole interpretive scheme... :rolleyes:

The point of JtB's ministry was not for him to baptize Jesus--though that was necessary--but to open up people's hearts by preaching repentance and readiness for the Christ on his heels. That's the door he was opening.

In short, I'd say that focusing on "the porter" makes the mistake of looking away from Jesus. :2cents:

Rev. Buchanan, thanks for your response. I brought it up because I was uncomfortable with the idea. I agree with your analysis.

It strikes me as an ultra-fine proposal; it goes beyond the intent of Jesus' teaching. The best one can say for it, is that it attempts to take a detail of Jesus parabolic teaching to offer a particular application (allegedly the application?)

Before Jesus says, "I am the good Shepherd," he says, "I am the door." I'm sure there's a way to make that "fit" with this whole interpretive scheme... :rolleyes:

The point of JtB's ministry was not for him to baptize Jesus--though that was necessary--but to open up people's hearts by preaching repentance and readiness for the Christ on his heels. That's the door he was opening.

In short, I'd say that focusing on "the porter" makes the mistake of looking away from Jesus. :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back