Jonathan Edwards - A Treatise on Religious Affections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Original Post by Rev. Reagan Marsh,
========================
Greetings PB brethren,

Monergism has released a new Jonathan Edwards ebook at no charge: his excellent The Religious Affections.

You may access it here: https://www.monergism.com/treatise-r...fections-ebook

Enjoy!
=========================

Well, I just finished the book -- and it was one of the *scariest books I ever read. It took me farther that John Owen in self-examination. Everybody should read this at least once.

*Also one of the most helpful.

I took a course with Dr. Tom Nettles on Jonathan Edwards while a student at SBTS. He put it this way: if it scares the heebie-jeebies out of you, Edwards is (usually) addressing cold, hardened, religiously-lost people -- i.e., false or merely outward professors.

I'm glad you read R.A.! It's an outstanding work.

I took a course with Dr. Tom Nettles on Jonathan Edwards while a student at SBTS. He put it this way: if it scares the heebie-jeebies out of you, Edwards is (usually) addressing cold, hardened, religiously-lost people -- i.e., false or merely outward professors.

All the more reason to read Romans 7 as being the experience of a regenerate man. For we all should despair any part of us that is sinful and not conformed to the image of The Son. :)

Gardiner Spring's "Distinguishing Traits of Christian Character" is his abridgement, so to speak, of Edwards's fine work. It deals with much of the same material, what signs are proof of conversion and what signs are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back