Leaving Career for Seminary - Supporting a Family of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if any of you have, or maybe know someone who has, left a full-time career to go to seminary? If so, how did you (or they) do it?

I've been in sales for the past 12 years and the sole bread winner for our household of 5. We have 3 children, 10, 8, and 3. For the past year or so I've been feeling a strong calling that I should be using my gifts to glorify God rather than to make a bunch of money. I've been praying about it and talking to the elders at my church and still haven't taken the plunge. My church supports men to go into ministry, but it is usually young men without children, and who still live at home, etc. So it is much easier for them to go to seminary. I'm selling my house and moving our family into a smaller place that is much easier to afford. Then I need to find a job that will support us while I go to seminary. My current job requires 50 hour work weeks and is commission based, so I woulnd't be able to go to seminary with this job. My ultimate goal is to earn a Ph.D. and teach in a university or bible college. The seminaries I'm looking at are Westminster California, Southwestern in Fortworth, Midwestern in Kansas City. Westminster would be the hardest option in terms of finding a place to live (CA. is expensive, that is where we currently live). Midwestern and Southwestern are in areas where housing for a family of five is very affordable.

I'm open to other seminaries, but prefer a reformed seminary for my graduate education.

I appreciate any advice you may offer.

Blessings,

Brett

Hi Brett. You are welcome to contact me if you have any questions about Westminster Seminary California. Lord willing, we will have affordable housing opportunities (competitive with the other locations you mentioned)for students with families by Fall 2018. I would be happy to provide more information about this and some of our financial aid opportunities off-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back