Michael Horton's Pilgrim Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Has anyone here read Michael Horton's Pilgrim Theology? A couple of years ago, I got through 400 pages of his full systematic theology, The Christian Faith. It was pretty good, but much too bloated and tangential. The book was also quite physically awkward to read; hence I sold it. I like the look of Pilgrim Theology; it is more concise and seems to be a more pleasant volume to handle.

I too, first picked up Pilgrim Theology after reading The Christian Faith, so I do understand and agree with your observations. I think they are two different animals, though and should be treated as such. I had to urge myself through TCF while I could read a chapter of PT in 30 minutes. I hope the adult SS class I'm in will one day pick up PT but we'd never go through TCF. There is plenty of meat in PT so if someone is wondering don't write it off as simplistic. It is a well put together book and I'd recommend it.

I have both and usually reach for Pilgrim Theology first and if that doesn't give me the detail I need then I consult Christian Faith. About 99% of the time PT is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back