More light! No divine wisdom without prayer - Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
Psalm 119:66 - TEACH ME GOOD JUDGMENT AND KNOWLEDGE; FOR I HAVE BELIEVED THY COMMANDMENTS.

From the footnotes on his commentary on above verse.

It is recorded of one of the Reformers, that when he had acquitted himself in a public disputation with great credit to his Master's cause, a friend begged to see the notes, which he had been observed to write, supposing that he had taken down the arguments of his opponents and sketched the substance of his own reply—Greatly was he surprised to find that his notes consisted simply of these ejaculatory petitions—' More light, Lord,—more light,—more light!' And how fully was the true spirit of prayer compressed and illustrated in these short aspirations? Could they fail of success? "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall he given him." James i. 5. Greenham being asked his judgment of some important matters,—answered— 'Sir, neither am I able to speak, nor you to hear, for we have not prayed. I may indeed talk, and you may answer as natural men; but ,we are not not prepared to confer as children of God.'—Works, p. 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back