Most precious aspect of your being a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is it specifically that gives you joy and delight and comfort as you are in Christ? What is it, that when your life is in shambles all around you that you are sustained by? WHat promise? What truth? What awareness?...?

The objective unequivocal promises of the Gospel to the penitent sinner, leaving no room for despairing and -in fact- commanding the opposite, such that despite all senses, in the face of all sins and satan's accusations, despite all outer circumstances, hoping against hope, one who is still breathing, may still have Christ according to God's prescribed means. Hear from the Gospel of Isaiah (Ch. 55, my emphases added):

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters,
and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat;
yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread?
and your labour for that which satisfieth not?
hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good,
and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

Incline your ear, and come unto me:
hear, and your soul shall live;
and I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
even the sure mercies of David.

. . . .

Seek ye the Lord while he may be found,
call ye upon him while he is near:
let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts:
and let him return unto the Lord,
and he will have mercy upon him;
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.​

The objective unequivocal promises of the Gospel to the penitent sinner, leaving no room for despairing and -in fact- commanding the opposite, such that despite all senses, in the face of all sins and Satan's accusations, despite all outer circumstances, hoping against home, one who is still breathing, may still have Christ according to God's prescribed means. Hear from the Gospel of Isaiah (Ch/ 55, my emphases added):

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters,
and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat;
yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread?
and your labour for that which satisfieth not?
hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good,
and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

Incline your ear, and come unto me:
hear, and your soul shall live;
and I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
even the sure mercies of David.

. . . .

Seek ye the Lord while he may be found,
call ye upon him while he is near:
let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts:
and let him return unto the Lord,
and he will have mercy upon him;
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.​

So, what specifically, do you, if about to be pulled to despair, rejoice in? That is, what specific aspect do you drink from that is especially satiates your thirst and satisfies you?

So, what specifically, do you, if about to be pulled to despair, rejoice in? That is, what specific aspect do you drink from that is especially satiates your thirst and satisfies you?
I am not sure how to answer this, except to say that I rejoice in the objective promise that God will in "no wise cast out," and will save "to the uttermost," any and all who come to Him by Christ (John 6, Heb. 7). The satisfaction comes from the truth that these promises cannot be gainsaid, because the promises of God are yea, and Amen (1 Cor. 2). Perhaps I am missing the thrust of your question.

If I get specific, I tend to remind myself of my adoption, how I am God's child. But even that remains a very broad truth containing many diverse blessings. I would have a hard time trying to pick just one out of those many.

"1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." Isa 43:1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not afraid to admit that I sometimes feel that I am drowning in the depths of despair, yet I know that other godly people have felt the same sense of hopelessness. When the prophet Jeremiah emotionally hit bottom, he had the wisdom to look up to the Lord and find hope.

Lamentations 3:19-24
19 Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
20 My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.
21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
22 It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
24 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

Ours is a wonderful burden...

1. An acceptance in the Beloved which can never be questioned. (Eph. 1:6)
2. A bounty which can never be withdrawn. (1 Cor. 3:21-23)
3. A deliverance which can never be excelled. (2 Cor. 1:10)
4. A grace which can never be limited. (2 Cor. 12:9)
5. A hope which can never be disappointed. (Hebrews 6:18-19)
6. An inheritance which can never be lost. (1 Peter 1:3-5)
7. A joy which need never be diminished. (John 15:11)
8. A kingdom which can never be overturned. (Hebrews 12:28)
9. A nearness to God which can never be reversed. (Eph. 2:13)
10. A peace which can never be disturbed. (John 14:27)
11. A righteousness which can never be tarnished. (2 Cor. 5:21)
12. A salvation which can never be cancelled. (Hebrews 5:9)
- Src: F.E. Marsh

"He who believes is not condemned." - John 3:18

I came to Christ as an empty sinner and I was accepted. I still come to him as an empty sinner, and I am always accepted. I have no need to doubt it because Christ has promised to accept all who come to Him. This promise has preserved me when I have fought and wrestled with indwelling sins and depressions, and assures me that in any case and circumstance I may come to the Father and receive all grace that I need, knowing that He accepts me because of Christ.

I would also put 1 Corinthians 1:30 - "And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption..."

My only hope is Christ, and not my own power or strength. All I need is in Christ, all I could ever want is in Christ, and all I want is Christ. My sins were washed away by Christ, my meriting righteousness was lived out and imputed to me by Christ, all my growth in holiness and death to sin comes strictly from union with Christ, and my knowledge and fear of God comes through Christ. "Christ is all, and in all."

I will have to bookmark this thread. I find myself saying 'yes, that is what comforts me' to every response. Thank you for that list, Patrick.

I would add that when I feel a shambles (which happens very often, though I've been protected from a great many bad things in life), one of the most comforting aspects of Scripture is the way God set His committed love on such flawed individuals all through the Old Testament history. We had them held up to us as examples in Sunday School and I have learned since to see them as casting shadows of Jesus -- both in what they did accomplish and where they fell short and needed His perfect work. But there is also a comfort in their lives as a record of believing sinners whom God cherished up and loved, visited, redeemed, and used in their own time to the praise of His grace.

Even Abraham could be discouraged in his faith (Hagar) or panicked and fearful (his actions in Egypt), but when it came to this world's goods he overreached for the friendship and promises of God. I pray for grace to be a child of Abraham.

-- It also seems appropriate to add this expression of our Christian comfort -- the answer of so many believers, present and past:

Q.
What is your only comfort
in life and death?
A.
That I am not my own,
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death,
to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ.
He has fully paid for all my sins
with his precious blood,
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil.
He also preserves me in such a way
that without the will of my heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head;
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation.
Therefore, by his Holy Spirit
he also assures me
of eternal life
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for him.

(Scripture texts here: http://www.heidelberg-catechism.com/en/lords-days/1.html)

Christ is all in all, being fairer than all the children of men, and the chiefest of ten thousand and all together lovely. Fairer being translated, has a double emphasis,"beautiful, beautiful." There being a fullness of grace in Him without measure, from which we receive grace for grace. Contemplation of which not only comforts but regales the soul with inexpressible delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back