One of these things is too much like the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
1Of_These_Things.jpg
AngloCatholic:* “No doubt, as God’s extraordinary presence has hallowed and sanctified certain places, so they are His extraordinary works that have truly and worthily advanced certain times, for which cause they ought to be, with all men that honor God, more holy than other days.” Richard Hooker, Anglican Theologian (c.1554–1600), “Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity,” in Works (1821) 2.282. Cf. Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (2013), 132.

Modern ‘Presbyterian’: “When God touches earth, the place is holy. When God appears in history, the time is holy. There was never a more holy place than the city of Bethlehem, where the Word became flesh. There was never a more holy time than Christmas morning when Emmanuel was born. Christmas is a holiday. It is the holiest of holy days.” R. C. Sproul, “Don’t Be a Scrooge This Christmas”.

This is different than the other two:

Real Presbyterian: “As of places, so of times, our opposites think most superstitiously. For of holy days Hooker says thus, No doubt as God’s extraordinary presence has hallowed and sanctified certain places, so they are His extraordinary works that have truly and worthily advanced certain times, for which cause they ought to be with all men that honor God more holy than other days. What is this but popish superstition? For just so the Rhemists think that the times and places of Christ’s nativity, passion, burial, resurrection, and ascension, were made holy; and just so Bellarmine holds, that Christ did consecrate the days of His nativity, passion, and resurrection, being born in that stable He consecrated it; dying, the cross; rising again, the tomb. Hooker has been of opinion, that the holy days were so advanced above other days, by God’s great and extraordinary work done upon them, that they should have been holier than other days, even albeit the church had not appointed them to be kept holy. George Gillespie, Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (2013), 141.

*Gillespie's term is formalist; The term Anglo-Catholicism, was coined by the nineteenth century Oxford movement which claimed a continuum of ideas with the Jacobean and Caroline divines. Whether that anachronism is fair or not, the term (or one like it) is appropriate given these seventeenth century divines used the same arguments for their ceremonies, as Roman Catholics did for theirs (hence the “popish” in English Popish Ceremonies).

Last edited:
There was never a more holy time than Christmas morning when Emmanuel was born.

Exodus 3 had the burning bush and God saying that here was Holy ground. I don't recall that description being used in the birth accounts.

Maybe they should be especially celebrating burning bush day, whenever that might be.

Exodus 3 had the burning bush and God saying that here was Holy ground. I don't recall that description being used in the birth accounts.

Maybe they should be especially celebrating burning bush day, whenever that might be.
Burning bush day would probably have a better case for its sanctioning.

"Burning bush day would probably have a better case for its sanctioning."

I think Obama would declare it a national holiday if you capitalize the b. ;)

bumping and reopening this and this, https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...an-the-church-celebrating-his-birthday.88558/

Burning bush day would probably have a better case for its sanctioning.
This I could support :)

I was surprised to see in pictures a friend of mine made in his trip to the "holy land" the number of Christians worshipping at the various sites. I don't get it, I really don't. Christ came to me studying his Word in Georgia. That's holy enough.

R.C. Sproul said:

Isn't it hard to say that Christ was born on the holiday commemorating his birth?
  • The first Guy Fawkes Day wasn't the day of the plot in 1605, but remembrance of it in 1606.
  • The first American Independence Day celebration was in 1777.
  • The first official UK Armistice Day events were held in the grounds of Buckingham Palace on the morning of 11 November 1919, says wikipedia.
The event has to happen first, no?

That time of year. I don't know if there is any Presbyterian as unabashed as the late Dr. Sproul Sr. in arguing the Anglican position, but the parallel with Richard Hooker is certainly striking.

Forgive me if I derail the thread here, but can the elders among us please answer me why they think that R.C. Sproul, for all his strengths, thought it okay to have images of Christ in his church building, as well as such a strong pro-Christmas-in-the-Church position?

When certain days are represented as holy in themselves, when one day is distinguished from another on religious grounds, when holy days are reckoned a part of divine worship, then days are improperly observed.

Calvin, J., & Pringle, W. (2010). Commentaries on the Epistles of Paul to the Galatians and Ephesians (p. 124). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

Forgive me if I derail the thread here, but can the elders among us please answer me why they think that R.C. Sproul, for all his strengths, thought it okay to have images of Christ in his church building, as well as such a strong pro-Christmas-in-the-Church position?

I think it all comes from when and where he was ordained.

I think it all comes from when and where he was ordained.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong; but the church while Dr. Sproul was still alive moved them out of the worship area, so at least the church and maybe Dr. Sproul too, was not tone deaf to those who think it idolatry. That is more than what a least one well know 'confessional/conservative' PCA church has done, whose leaders or some of them agree they are wrong in keep a huge image front and center in the sanctuary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back