Paul Baynes on the fullness of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
From his comments on Colossians 1:19

Lastly, this is very comfortable; for if there be such a fullness in Christ, then what though there be abundance of sin in us, and guiltiness? Yet there is a fullness in him to remove it, and take it away: a fullness of mercy to hear our supplications, a fullness of merit to make a full atonement for our foulest sins; a fullness of favor to prevail with his Father in any request. If therefore there be such a fullness in Christ as there is, be not discouraged: though thy sins abound, yet his grace abounds much more—they cannot be so out of measure sinful, as he is merciful. Remember but the two metaphors in Scripture: I will scatter your sins as a mist; I will drown them in the bottom of the sea. Now the sun, by reason of his force, can scatter the thickest mist, as well as the thinnest vapor; and the sea, by reason of his great vastness, can drown mountains as well as molehills. So Christ, by reason of the great vastness of grace that is in him, is able, yea, forward and willing to forgive the greatest as well as the least sins. For mercy, though it be a quality in us, yet it is a nature in God. Now that which is natural, there is no unwillingness nor weariness in doing of it: as the eye is not weary of seeing, the ear is not weary of hearing. Therefore, though our sins be never so great and many, his grace is all sufficient for the pardon of them. Now I beseech you, take not this exhortation in vain; for there is nothing more effectual to heal a rebellious disposition, and to cause a sinner to change his course, than to be fully persuaded that he shall be received to mercy, and that his sins shall be forgiven him in Christ. Therefore let this fullness of mercy in Christ be an effectual motive to us all to come in, and to give up ourselves wholly to Christ, to serve him with perfect hearts all our days.​

Amen!------If I may add this thought which not only supports,
but develops. In Song of Songs1:14, " My beloved is unto me
as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi"! In the
original, the word cluster is Eshcol.(I am told). It has a multi-
layered meaning. a man who was an Ammonite; A verdant valley
where Grapes grew; a cluster or accumulation, and more importantly
A Man of All Fullness!
But there is more. The original word for camphire is Kopper, which
is the word for Atonement and Propitiation! So we have, a man of all
fullness of atonement and propitiation.
A fullness of grace; a fullness of covering(propitiation) and of Atonement,
A fullness of the Godhead dwelling bodily.
The Jewish doctors, who were more discerning than many modern critics,
believed that this verse spoke of the Messiah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back