Physical Rest on the Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Can someone please provide some quotes from Puritans demonstrating that they believed that physical rest was needful on the Lord's Day?

I'm interacting with a young man who is convinced that the only lawful activity in the WCF is worship deeds of necessity, and mercy. He believes that the wording does not permit physical rest itself (e.g. a child taking a nap is violating the Sabbath).

Give him time, for as he grows older he may see the necessity of a nap for himself. :)

I'm interacting with a young man who is convinced that the only lawful activity in the WCF is worship deeds of necessity, and mercy. He believes that the wording does not permit physical rest itself (e.g. a child taking a nap is violating the Sabbath).
I am interested in hearing how resting was understood by the individuals who wrote the WCF.

I actually experienced the opposite with my prior pastor. We lived about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) from where the church met, and we found it extremely tiring to make both meeting times in the morning and afternoon. Of course, we desired to meet with the congregation as often as possible, but our Sabbath was becoming the opposite of restful. My pastor essentially told me that the Lord's Day is not principally about rest but about public worship with God's people, which I disagreed with. It seemed as though we were emphasizing public worship by means of sermons, singing, prayer, etc. over the other good things that could be done on the Lords Day - feasting, acts of mercy, napping, etc.

On the flip side, I have heard from others that "exercises of Worship" are actually work. Pulling from the Levites, whose vocation was to exercise Worship, these folks say that the Levites were actually permitted to break the Sabbath because of their vocation, in much the same way that we might say a Pastor's vocation is to exercise and lead the congregation in worship and is therefore allowed to "break the Sabbath" by exercising his vocation on the Lord's Day. Their argument was essentially that those who emphasis public acts of worship as the importance of the Sabbath are actually causing others to break the Sabbath by not resting, since religious rituals are work - or so they say. They quoted Calvin a lot, whom I have not read in this area.

Sounds like this young man is maybe emphasizing the words "whole time" in paragraph eight over and above actual rest?

If that is the case, then he should not go to bed Saturday night, or at least wake up at midnight and start private and family devotions, because the Puritans believed the Lord's day was 24 hours. Rest is a necessity to fit us for the main duties of the day which are to worship the Lord. If we can take our needed food during the day (which is also not mentioned in WCF 21) so to those who need it to remain fit for the duties, some kind of nap. I couldn't find a succinct statement in Bownd but this points the direction, that it is excess beyond what is needed in food and rest to keep us going in our worship, that should be discountenanced.
Nicholas Bownd, Sabbathum Veteris et Novi Testamenti: or The True Doctrine of the Sabbath (2015).
Moreover, God has given to men liberty upon this day to prepare that food which is meet and convenient for everyone, that their bodies being thereby comfortably refreshed through God’s blessing, they might be the rather thereby fitted unto the cheerful proceeding in His service; which otherwise through their weakness might faint, and give over in the midst of it. For such is our nature, that we stand in need of a continual repairing by the creatures, and that every day. Therefore, though (as we have seen) the buying and selling of victuals, and carrying of them to and fro was forbidden, seeing that the other six days are given unto men for these purposes; yet the preparing of them, and making them serviceable for the use of man, according to the necessity of everyone, is that which cannot be done at other times, and yet men cannot want [go without] it, if they |203| will fruitfully hold out in sanctifying the Sabbath unto the end. And therefore this makes it lawful unto all men, when they do it in that manner and measure, that may most of all further them in God’s worship, which is the chiefest thing upon that day to be considered, and unto the which all other things ought to be referred. p. 217
So that though upon that day we may take our sleep, as well as upon any other day of the week, even as we may also our meat; yet we must not give ourselves to sleeping, no more than we may to surfeiting; according to the manner of some, especially great folks, and in great cities and towns, who lie longest in bed upon that day, as then also they have their greatest feasts, and so make that a day of carnal, fleshly, and worldly rest, and not of sanctified and holy rest. p. 361
[As Psalm 91:1] shows that the Sabbath as it consists of day and night, so we must spend the morning, evening, and whole day, yea some part of the night in praising and serving the Lord, so far as our necessary rest and sleep will permit us. p. 362

Below is something succinct from Cawdrey and Palmer (both members of the Westminster assembly). Actually this is from parts 2-4 only by Cawdrey, Palmer having died after part 1 was published in 1645.
That by a day in the Commandment, is meant a natural day, allowed both for our working days, and God's resting day, but with the known necessary
Reservations for food and sleep, and other works of mercy...
Sabbatum redivivum: or, the Christian sabbath vindicated, part 2 chapter 5 (1652), 183.

What about a short jog on the Lord's Day? Many times if I do not do some moderately vigorous form of exercise on the Lord's Day, I lack focus.

I cannot identify with that but if it is actually necessary, then it should be some kind of exercise that takes the least time to be effective so as to minimize the detraction from the commanded use of the day, and otherwise governed by the use of things indifferent.

The Sabbath was made for man. Not man for the Sabbath. Very often a nap is both a mercy and a necessity.

The person believes that rest is necessary but he is confused that the wording of the Standards necessarily infers that the only activity permitted are worship and acts of necessity and mercy.

Let's keep the thread focused less on surprise about the necessity of rest and focused on actual quotes from Puritans. Lurk if you don't have any. :)

What about a short jog on the Lord's Day? Many times if I do not do some moderately vigorous form of exercise on the Lord's Day, I lack focus.

A relaxing walk or a short jog can be a sort of mental rest which helps ease the fatigue of sitting and listening to a sermon. Sometimes it is necessary for me to keep me fresh for the evening sermon. Some would differ with me, but I believe such differing represents the opposite error of the young man in the OP.

Last edited:
I'm confused then. Maybe there is confusion over whether a nap is of necessity or mercy with the person, but acts of worship along with as Cawdrey says the reservations of necessity and mercy (of which food and rest are included) are the only general categories in Puritan thinking of activity on the Lord's day. Right?
The person believes that rest is necessary but he is confused that the wording of the Standards necessarily infers that the only activity permitted are worship and acts of necessity and mercy.

Rich, are you saying the fellow believes rest is necessary but that the WCF does not allow it? i.e. this is a criticism he has of the WCF?

Well, I don't see how he can allow sleeping then as valid by the WCF otherwise, but I'm still confused if this is something he advocates or if it is a criticism he's manufactured of the WCF. I have not read every puritan, far from it, but from those I have, if I can dare summarize "the" puritan view, it is that we observe the Lord's day by resting in order to devote the day to the worship of God. Hence it is not just a day for physical resting from our work days working, but that any rest is aimed to fit the person to do the duties of the Lord's day. If one had a rough week and finds they need more rest one Lord's day that is one thing, but it is not the puritan view to simply cordon off a segment of the day for more physical rest than our regular days as a matter of course 'to recover from the week' (and with us now having a five day work week it hardly seems reasonable; take Saturday for extra rest). So there is no "rest" category versus a "worship" category in the puritan view other than as an act of necessity and mercy. The puritans would view simply devoting more of our Lord's day to our personal resting than we do on our six days as another way of taking part of the Lord's day for ourselves. I apologize if I just went off in the weeds, but as I say, I'm easily confused and I'm still not sure what this is about.
I think he probably believes that physical rest is not an act of necessity or mercy.

If that is the case, then he should not go to bed Saturday night, or at least wake up at midnight and start private and family devotions, because the Puritans believed the Lord's day was 24 hours. Rest is a necessity to fit us for the main duties of the day which are to worship the Lord. If we can take our needed food during the day (which is also not mentioned in WCF 21) so to those who need it to remain fit for the duties, some kind of nap. I couldn't find a succinct statement in Bownd but this points the direction, that it is excess beyond what is needed in food and rest to keep us going in our worship, that should be discountenanced.
Nicholas Bownd, Sabbathum Veteris et Novi Testamenti: or The True Doctrine of the Sabbath (2015).
Moreover, God has given to men liberty upon this day to prepare that food which is meet and convenient for everyone, that their bodies being thereby comfortably refreshed through God’s blessing, they might be the rather thereby fitted unto the cheerful proceeding in His service; which otherwise through their weakness might faint, and give over in the midst of it. For such is our nature, that we stand in need of a continual repairing by the creatures, and that every day. Therefore, though (as we have seen) the buying and selling of victuals, and carrying of them to and fro was forbidden, seeing that the other six days are given unto men for these purposes; yet the preparing of them, and making them serviceable for the use of man, according to the necessity of everyone, is that which cannot be done at other times, and yet men cannot want [go without] it, if they |203| will fruitfully hold out in sanctifying the Sabbath unto the end. And therefore this makes it lawful unto all men, when they do it in that manner and measure, that may most of all further them in God’s worship, which is the chiefest thing upon that day to be considered, and unto the which all other things ought to be referred. p. 217
So that though upon that day we may take our sleep, as well as upon any other day of the week, even as we may also our meat; yet we must not give ourselves to sleeping, no more than we may to surfeiting; according to the manner of some, especially great folks, and in great cities and towns, who lie longest in bed upon that day, as then also they have their greatest feasts, and so make that a day of carnal, fleshly, and worldly rest, and not of sanctified and holy rest. p. 361
[As Psalm 91:1] shows that the Sabbath as it consists of day and night, so we must spend the morning, evening, and whole day, yea some part of the night in praising and serving the Lord, so far as our necessary rest and sleep will permit us. p. 362

Right! About as silly as working 6 x 24 hours straight with no sleep as we are to "labor six days." Did the Puritans have Red Bulls?

So that though upon that day we may take our sleep, as well as upon any other day of the week, even as we may also our meat; yet we must not give ourselves to sleeping, no more than we may to surfeiting; according to the manner of some, especially great folks, and in great cities and towns, who lie longest in bed upon that day, as then also they have their greatest feasts, and so make that a day of carnal, fleshly, and worldly rest, and not of sanctified and holy rest.

That quote is pure gold. Bownd shows that the necessary rest permitted on the Sabbath is not a rest peculiar to that day, but a common rest which may be taken any day. In this way he avoids the pitfall of making the Sabbath a day of physical rest (the Larger Catechism calls it "profaning the day by idleness") and that of forbidding necessary rest.

William Gouge, Sabbath's Sanctification:

25. Q. What other servile things may further the proper works of the Sabbath?

A. Such as our weak bodies do stand in need of. Exod. 12:16; Matt. 12:1.

Man by sin hath brought many infirmities upon his body. By them is he much disabled and hindered from performing good duties. The Lord therefore every way endeavouring with his goodness to overcome man's wretchedness, hath by his providence afforded him sufficient means to support and redress his infirmities. These means God is willing that man should use at all times, on all occasions, so far forth as may be needful and useful for him. The Lord is not like that cruel tyrant who laid upon the Israelites, whom he held in hard bondage, as much as they could do, if not more, and yet would not afford them ordinary means to do it. He rather will have his work intermitted, than man oppressed thereby.

26. Q. What are those particulars which our weak bodies do most need?

A. 1. Sleep. Eccl. 5:12.

2. Food. Luke 14:1.

3. Apparel. 2 Sam. 12:20.

4. All other occasional helps. Mark 2:3, 4.

27. Q. Why is sleep requisite?

A. If we have not seasonable sleep the night immediately before the Sabbath (the latter part whereof, namely from midnight to the time we rise, is part of the Sabbath) the duties of the day will be so drousily performed (if at all they be performed) as they cannot be acceptable to God, nor advantageable to our spiritual edification. Sleep doth much refresh our drowsy bodies, and cheer our dull spirits: and so make us much better perform the duties of the Sabbath. Therefore sleep is said to be sweet, Eccl. 5:12.

81 Q. What ninth motive?

A. The temporal benefit of it. Deut. 5:14.

Surely a day's rest in every week is very needful and useful for man and beast: especially for such as labour all the six days. Experience gives good proof thereof. Howsoever such as on no day take any great pains find no such benefit thereby, yet others do. And the wise God saw it to be so. For which end he expressly commanded that the beast should rest (Exod. 20:10). Now the beast can reap no other than a temporal benefit. There is therefore a temporal benefit thence arising. Some masters are so covetous and gripulous, as if there were not a seventh day for rest set apart, they would never afford any day's rest to servants or cattle: but so weary them, as their strength would quickly be exhausted. It remains then that as the rest of every night, so the rest of every seventh day, is useful and needful: and a great temporal good is thereby brought to man and beast.

Is non-strenuous recreation appropriate on the Sabbath assuming you've already gone to corporate worship etc.? Something that wouldn't leave you tired and weary come Monday such as hiking or kayaking.

Hi; please fix yourself a signature; see the link in mine for the instructions and the board rules about that.
The intensity level is not the principle; our recreations and using a portion of the Lord's day for our own pleasures are forbidden in the commandment.

Rich,

Apologies if this quote has already been posted (as I have not read through the whole thread), but here is something that I just came across in Thomas Boston:

Now, it is the whole day that is thus to be spent [in holy exercises], i.e. the natural day. Not that people are bound to be in these exercises without intermission all the twenty-four hours; for God has not made the Sabbath to be a burden to man, but that we should continue God's work as we do our own on other days, where we are allowed necessary rest and refreshment by sleep in the night.

Works of Thomas Boston, 2: 196.

Hi; please fix yourself a signature; see the link in mine for the instructions and the board rules about that.
The intensity level is not the principle; our recreations and using a portion of the Lord's day for our own pleasures are forbidden in the commandment.

Perhaps one can recreate and enjoy themselves to God's glory, especially in the context of fellowship with other saints.

I'm not sure what you are positing but in principle, no perhaps if it goes against the purpose of the day, and detracts from or unfits for that purpose.
WCF 21. §8. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations, but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.

Perhaps one can recreate and enjoy themselves to God's glory, especially in the context of fellowship with other saints.

I do appreciate his zeal to make most of the day though. Trust that his zeal will be sancitified in time as the Lord mercifully does also with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back