Post Ratings Added

Discussion in 'Updates & Information' started by Semper Fidelis, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Post ratings added to the forum to replace the normal Like. It adds more options.

I've added two Negative ratings for Bad Spelling and Rude Posts. I don't want this to be abused so it's only available to Members Only for those ratings. If you receive more than 5 Negative ratings in these areas I'm experimenting with hiding the post to see how that works out.

We'll also be using this ratings feature to start to highlight the posts that "bubble to the top" to help improve the ability for people to find the best posts.

Let me know what you think of the categories.

ratings.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Edifying Edifying x 1
    • List
  2. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Only members, or Members Only forums?

3. Semper Fidelis

No, it should be displayed in all forums. Can't you see it in the lower right of my post?

4. NaphtaliPress

I mean are the two controversial ones only available to members (guests can like?) or on members only forums?

5. NaphtaliPress

Is there a way to reverse a like (if someone hits mean spirited by mistake for instance)?

6. Semper Fidelis

Right now, I haven't turned on the ability for non-registered users to utilize any of the Ratings. Only Registered Users can see the ratings. I may add the ability for unregistered users to Like a post but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I've restricted those who can use Negative ratings to this:

Bad Spelling - Member's Only
    Mean-Spirited - Elders, Doctors, and Post-Grads. I wanted to limit who could use the most negative rating.

7. Semper Fidelis

Yes.

8. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

Is it possible for the "Bad Spelling One" to be classified as "Bad Spelling/Poor Grammar/Incoherent," or is that a little bit too much?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. fredtgreco

fredtgreco Vanilla Westminsterian Staff Member

Maybe just "Bad Spelling/Grammar"?

10. fredtgreco

@Semper Fidelis - did you reduce the links on the top right of the page? I used to be able to click "Recent Posts" and a few other things there.

menu.jpg

11. Goodcheer68

Goodcheer68 Puritan Board Freshman

Bad spelling?? I get what you are trying to do but I think that is a little over the top. Do foreigners get a special pass? Just my 2 cents.

12. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

:up:

13. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

We're not looking needlessly to employ this for minor misspelling. It is more an avenue to quell the distraction caused by habitual posting of incoherent thoughts.

It is very poor form, inconsiderate, disrespectful, and even rude, for a person to carry themselves in such a manner -even after multiple gentle nudgings to correct the behavior- that requires other folks with whom they interact to labor unnecessarily through misspellings, lack of capitalization, and poor, incomplete, or run-on sentence structures.

This particular rating is a way of discouraging that behavior, without having completely to silence a user's interactions on the board.

14. Semper Fidelis

Fred,

It was cluttered and I found out a way to add the Recent Posts as an Addon so I don't have to worry about it going away with Template upgrades.

15. fredtgreco

So how do we access the recent posts with the addon?

16. Semper Fidelis

How about this:

ratings.jpg

As noted, the purpose of the spelling and grammar is to curtail the sloppy use of language per our board rules. We understand that English is a second language for some but, for those whose language it is primary, we don't allow needlessly sloppy grammar in posting. It's actually a board rule as a courtesy to the readers. If a person has the capacity to slow down and post without a ton of grammar mistakes and does not extend that courtesy then this is intended toward that end.

17. Semper Fidelis

You should see it now to the left of New Posts.

18. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

19. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Ha. Rich, do you realize how tempting it is to dock you for improper use of an apostrophe?

I assume you have in mind posts in which the author seems indifferent to the conventions of written English, rather than those with the occasional sloppy error.

20. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

The new layout is fantastic. Sorry to be a pedant, but how does one edit posts that you made a few hours ago? I see that it now lets you edit posts that you have just written, but not ones that you wrote a few hours previously.

21. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

Exactly. This is not a "zero-tolerance" idea. For example, we're not going to expel the kid who leaves a butter-knife in his pickup in the school parking lot, because of the no weapons policy of the school.

22. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Actually, as I think more seriously about this, allow me to suggest we not have a button to report bad spelling. It's not that I wish to encourage folks to ignore the rules of written English. I'm just thinking about those for whom English is not their first language. It might be a kind gesture to them if they don't have to feel concerned they might be criticized for errors. Think of it as a way to follow the command to be welcoming to the foreigners among us.

23. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Sophomore

I notice post count and join date no longer display. Will those be added in the future ?

24. fredtgreco

When you click on a user's name (e.g. "JimmyH") you get a popup that has those.

postcount.jpg

25. JimmyH

JimmyH Puritan Board Sophomore

26. NaphtaliPress

We do have an issue in this day and age when long format discussion is the old guy on the block to Facebook and Twitter with folks not taking the time courtesy dictates. I think folks know the difference between that and second language challenges which to date has not been an issue for members of the board. If it proves that is not the case and folks don't exercise discretion, we can revisit the question.

27. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

That got me thinking - there used to be an easy way to see your moderation points (current and expired) on your profile. Is that information still in there somewhere? I did a quick glance but have had time to fully explore yet.

28. Joshua

Joshua - Staff Member

Strangely, it is gone now.

29. NaphtaliPress

It does seem to come and go. Not sure what determines when it thinks it should go invisible or actually puts itself at the bottom or top, so you have to page to it! :)

30. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

You can see those links using the Home page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.