Progressive Covenantalism and New Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoutheticCounselor

Puritan Board Freshman
Is Progressive Covenantalism and New Covenant Theology the same thing? If not, how are they different?

One more question if they are different...

Is Progressive Covenantalism compatible with the 1689 (To my understanding, New Covenant Theology is not)?

Last edited:
I always thought that they were the same. Monergism has them listed as NCT/progressive covenantalism. If they are the same then neither are compatible with the 1689 confession.

Kingdom through Covenant by Gentry and Wellum introduces Progressive Covenantalism as their preferred term. They admit it is a species of NCT. It is not compatible with the 1689 LBCF or 1689 Federalism.

I'd never heard of "Progressive Covenantalism", only Progressive Dispensationalism.

Are these all attempts by former Dispensationalists, and by Baptists, to have a half-way house?

I'd never heard of "Progressive Covenantalism", only Progressive Dispensationalism.

Are these all attempts by former Dispensationalists, and by Baptists, to have a half-way house?

I'm a Baptist and it's hard to take PC/NCT seriously. While I wouldn't exactly call it a "half way house", it's similar to getting one's feet wet only. Progressive Dispensationalism fails the same way.

I wouldn't underestimate the ability of the conservative NCT proponents to do their own brand of systematics. Just because someone isn't confessional, doesn't mean they don't advance a specific brand of biblical reasoning and inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back