Reformed Baptist Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javilo

Puritan Board Freshman
Can anyone recommend any commentaries either on the whole bible or
on various books of the Bible, but especially the New Testament, from a
Reformed Baptist perspective?(non-dispensational) Thanks and God Bless.

Sadly, there are very few commentaries by those who are Baptist & Reformed; but if you are already a convinced Ref. Bap. it should not be a problem.

Some do come to mind: Next to Matthew Henry, the most useful commentary I own is Spurgeon's Treasury of David. I consider it one of the cornerstones used in building a library. You could also purchase his commentary on Matthew.

Another very interesting Puritan Baptist work is John Bunyan's expostion of Gen 1-11:2.

Enjoy,

Joe,

D.A. Carson says that THE NEW AMERICAN COMMENTARY is a reformation inspired SBC commentary and that it is "competent enough and pitched at a middle level"

From the book... New Testament Commentary Survey by D.A. Carson.

Sadly, there are very few commentaries by those who are Baptist & Reformed; but if you are already a convinced Ref. Bap. it should not be a problem.

Some do come to mind: Next to Matthew Henry, the most useful commentary I own is Spurgeon's Treasury of David. I consider it one of the cornerstones used in building a library. You could also purchase his commentary on Matthew.

Another very interesting Puritan Baptist work is John Bunyan's expostion of Gen 1-11:2.

Enjoy,

The bolded are online.

Here is the link to Bunyan's online for reading: John Bunyan - An Exposition on the FIRST TEN GenesisS OF GENESIS - Large Print

Joe,

D.A. Carson says that THE NEW AMERICAN COMMENTARY is a reformation inspired SBC commentary and that it is "competent enough and pitched at a middle level"

I was going to recommend this. It's hard to come by, but if you find it, buy it. ABE Books usually has some listed. It's very helpful and good from a Baptist perspective.

He also has one on Hebrews. I am not so sure of how good he is. His writing on the covenants seems a bit out of kilter for me. I have read through some of His Galatians Commentary and it seems ok upon first normal reading. But he definitely is coming from a Credo position.

Notes intended for an exposition of ... - Google Book Search

Also many Reformed Baptist have a deep appreciation for John Owen. His Hebrews Commentary is one of the best.

I love my set of Gill's commentaries. He anticipates almost every heretical misreading of a particular text and responds to it accordingly. The man was a phenomenon. No other theologian past or present ever mastered the Rabbinical writings like he did' and the skilful use he put it to the interpretation of God's Word is unsurpassed!

Robert Haldane (younger brother of James A.) on Romans, available new as a single-volume edition in Banner of Truth's Geneva Series of Commentaries, or used (try AbeBooks.com, eBay) in the old three-volume 'Sovereign Grace Book Club' edition published by Jay P. Green. I own the latter and love it, although for the sake of Banner I recommend theirs.

Joe,

I was going to recommend this. It's hard to come by, but if you find it, buy it. ABE Books usually has some listed. It's very helpful and good from a Baptist perspective.

I can not find it sold as a set.

I would have thought that if you are truly looking for a Reformed Baptist perspective there should be no problem using one of the many Reformed volumes that are available, apart from a very few obvious passages there should be no difference. If you do find differences then you may have to bite the bullet and consider whether you are in fact simply Calvinistic rather than being Reformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderPriest
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deeps
Joe,

I can not find it sold as a set.

here it is on cdrom:

The New American Commentary on CD-ROM (31 Vols.)

I don't think it's that amazing. It's better than the broadman commentary. There was one before that one called the American Commentary set. It may have been published back in the 1800's. I like that set Hackett did a commenatry on Acts that I have always found useful.

By the way New American Commentary is not anywhere close to being reformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back