Reformed Epistemology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Fox

Puritan Board Freshman
What does "Reformed Epistemology" mean to you?

For the longest time, I associated the term almost exclusively with Van Til. Whenever he would engage in epistemological pursuits this would be “Reformed Epistemology”. His dissertation was even given that exact title and the work dovetailed nicely with presuppositional apologetics (or at least that was my impression).

Recently I discovered that outside reformed circles, the term “Reformed Epistemology” is applied rather regularly to the work of Alvin Plantinga. He seems to be regarded as the more-or-less standard reformed theologian in broader Protestant circles.

Both these uses seem to be widespread, so I was curious, how have you heard the term used? Should we make any effort to pin it down?

Plantinga refers to his theory of warrant as reformed epistemology because he loosely follows Calvin's concept of the sensus divinitatis to argues that Christian belief can enjoy warrant, even in the absence of evidence or arguments.

Recently I discovered that outside reformed circles, the term “Reformed Epistemology” is applied rather regularly to the work of Alvin Plantinga.

As well as the work of Nicholas Wolterstorf and the late William Alston (who was ambivalent about the term).

It's something of a misnomer insofar as the project is more or less a reconstruction of classic Christian epistemology.

Both these uses seem to be widespread, so I was curious, how have you heard the term used? Should we make any effort to pin it down?

The two views come into contact and interact in the Five Views on Apologetics book. John Frame presents Van Til's presuppositional approach and Kelly James Clark presents what has come to be known as Reformed Epistemology. The differences are made apparent in their responses to each other.

My question was, how have you heard the term "Reformed Epistemology" used.

Mostly in the philosophical context. I haven't heard Van Til's thought labelled as reformed epistemology as such largely because even its most ardent defenders recognize that the Scottish common sense tradition at least has an equally respectable pedigree within the reformed tradition.

What does "Reformed Epistemology" mean to you?

For the longest time, I associated the term almost exclusively with Van Til. Whenever he would engage in epistemological pursuits this would be “Reformed Epistemology”. His dissertation was even given that exact title and the work dovetailed nicely with presuppositional apologetics (or at least that was my impression).

Recently I discovered that outside reformed circles, the term “Reformed Epistemology” is applied rather regularly to the work of Alvin Plantinga. He seems to be regarded as the more-or-less standard reformed theologian in broader Protestant circles.

Reformed Epistemology teaches that it is rational to believe in God without evidence. This viewpoint was developed by certain philosophers such Alvin Plantinga and William Alston. They are opposed to evidentialism, which is the idea that one must always have evidence of X in order to believe in X.

My question was, how have you heard the term "Reformed Epistemology" used.

In the literature I have only seen it used in terms of Plantinga's modification of Reid's doctrine of basic beliefs, whereas Van Til's method is usually called presuppositional. Van Til was consciously standing in the reformed tradition of Princeton and Amsterdam, and could have laid claim to the term much earlier. I note, though, that he did use the term in a generic theological sense when analysing different approaches.

Technically, to be "reformed" is to maintain the doctrine of special revelation as self-authenticating.

I have never heard of Van Til's philosophy itself called presuppositional, but I could be missing something. "Presuppositional apologetics" was of course his main project and expanded beyond apologetics proper into epistemology and metaphysics.

So, is "reformed epistemology" really and exclusively Plantinga term?

I do not know why it would be exclusive to Plantinga, who started using the term only in the eighties. When speaking of epistemological matters and in the Reformed context, it seems natural to combine the two words. For that matter back in 1917, Coffey was speaking of presuppositions in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back