Resources on Intertestamental Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason F.

Puritan Board Freshman
I would like to learn more about the period of time between the Old and New Testament. Does anyone have any resources that they've found beneficial on this subject and would like to recommend?

The Apocrypha will have a lot of useful information. Josephus also. Many study Bibles have an article or two on the time between the testaments.

F.F. Bruce gives a very brief overview in Israel and the Nations, chapters 15-23. Walter Kaiser also treats it in A History of Israel, part 9.

The Apocrypha will have a lot of useful information. Josephus also. Many study Bibles have an article or two on the time between the testaments.

Those were exactly my first thoughts:
Josephus if you pretty much want the most contemporary historian's account,
The Apocrypha if you want writings (embellished) from the period,
Study Bibles if you just want the quick lowdown.

Josephus or any New Testament history has the background (i.e. FF Bruce, Witherington, etc.).
A Very Short History of the Hellenistic period seems promising as well.

From the Apocrypha, specifically Wisdom, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), 1 and 2 Maccabees. Not inspired but great reads. You can find the KJV, GNT, RSV, and NRSV online. There’s an ESV in print.

I have a great commentary on the Apocrypha because I wanted something and the RCC was no help they know less about the Apocrypha then we do lol. But here it is "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture" Old Testament book number XV or 15 you can get this at IVP or EBay. This is a very good book and could answer lots of questions on the Apocrypha. It's close to 600 pages so you will get what you came for in this book.

I have a great commentary on the Apocrypha because I wanted something and the RCC was no help they know less about the Apocrypha then we do lol. But here it is "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture" Old Testament book number XV or 15 you can get this at IVP or EBay. This is a very good book and could answer lots of questions on the Apocrypha. It's close to 600 pages so you will get what you came for in this book.
Great, thank you. I've actually ordered the ESV Apocrypha, going to read it and will maybe check this out as well.

I have always benefitted from articles in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) for this sort of thing.

Are you mostly looking for historical facts or something else?

I have always benefitted from articles in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) for this sort of thing.

Are you mostly looking for historical facts or something else?
Mainly to help with my understanding of the eschatological passages in the OT prophets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back