Robert Craghead’s experience during the Siege of Derry and his debt to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The unquestionable duty of all men, who cannot pay just Debt, is at least to acknowledge it; specially where the Debt is so great that the Debtor is not responsible: when I remember the good hand of God upon me, in bringing me to such a refuge as Glasgow; through so many difficulties and dangers; having stayed in Derry until the second day of its Siege, could not get out of the Gates without great difficulty, and forced to leave the half of my Family within the Walls, by the violence of Soldiers; and the next day was taken and Robbed by the Enemies: yet coming unto you in grief, for the lamentable State of this Nation, and particular relations: found no less affectionate tenderness and care, than if I had come among so many near Relations, being suffered to want nothing necessary for this life.

Many others also of this Nation do, and have reason to remember gratefully your labour of love, in their destitute condition; I can see no reason, why such seasonable compassions should be buried in oblivion; but rather should be published according to many Scriptural precedents; rendering fragrant, and perpetuating the memory of such Christian Sympathy. And though in point of modesty, some find it difficult to commend Benefactors to their face, yet find no less difficult to be ungrate. ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back