Sabbath in the Intermediate and Final State

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickinho1bra

Puritan Board Freshman
Forgive me if this is an elementary question but since the moral Law which is summed up in the 10 Commandments is for God’s people at all times to obey, what does that mean in regards to the Sabbath after we die (in the intermediate state) and once our bodies are raised in glory (in the final state)? Will we work 6 days and then keep 1 day holy to the Lord? If not, then how do we think of the morality of the Sabbath mandate?

once our bodies are raised in glory (in the final state)
The final state = an eternal Sabbath/rest. This can be gleaned from Hebrews 4 - though it is speaking primarily about the rest we find in Christ presently from our sinful works, it also applies to eternity where we will be finally freed from all such works: "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, hath also ceased from his own works, as God from His. Let us study therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of disobedience." (vv.9-11).

There will be no Sabbath day as there will be no days/nights (only day - no night). Both the Sabbath and our measuring time by day/night are tied to Creation, and there will be a new creation. There will be no need for the Law in eternity where there will be no possibility of sin (all light, all pure, all right; no curse, death, sorrow, crying, tears, or pain).

The final state = an eternal Sabbath/rest. This can be gleaned from Hebrews 4 - though it is speaking primarily about the rest we find in Christ presently from our sinful works, it also applies to eternity where we will be finally freed from all such works: "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, hath also ceased from his own works, as God from His. Let us study therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of disobedience." (vv.9-11).

There will be no Sabbath day as there will be no days/nights (only day - no night). Both the Sabbath and our measuring time by day/night are tied to Creation, and there will be a new creation. There will be no need for the Law in eternity where there will be no possibility of sin (all light, all pure, all right; no curse, death, sorrow, crying, tears, or pain).
Will there be jobs in heaven (Isa. 65:17-25)?

So are you saying:
1) there will be no work in the new Heaven and the new Earth? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from?
2) there will literally no no day and night? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from?
3) there will not be a command from God to keep the moral law? Will commands from God cease entirely and we will be left to do whatever we desire since the only things we will desire are good things? I think I know where the Bible might support that idea but I’ll ask anyway: what scripture are you deriving this from?

That depends on how you define "jobs." We will have purpose. "Therefore we faint not, but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed daily. For our light affliction which is but for a moment, causeth unto us a far most excellent and an eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor.4.16-17). I would think that "weight of glory" refers to works of righteousness for " we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ordained" (Eph.2.10). After all, work is not a punishment for sin. We were created to work, so I would think in a new earth we would have new work to do.

There is always the caveat that every detail about heaven is unknown except that we will be united with Christ without sin or its affects.
So are you saying:
1) there will be no work in the new Heaven and the new Earth? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from? See above
2) there will literally no no day and night? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from? Rev.21.23-25 and Rev.22.3-5
3) there will not be a command from God to keep the moral law? What would be the purpose? Will commands from God cease entirely and we will be left to do whatever we desire since the only things we will desire are good things? I'm not sure what you mean by "commands" I think I know where the Bible might support that idea but I’ll ask anyway: what scripture are you deriving this from?  Romans

Rev 21:23
Do we take that as there will literally be no more stars and planets orbiting them and rotating on an axis anywhere in the universe (since that is what constitutes a day, as far as my non-scientific brain can understand)?

Do we take that as there will literally be no more stars and planets orbiting them and rotating on an axis anywhere in the universe (since that is what constitutes a day, as far as my non-scientific brain can understand)?
Time is prior to and independent of stars and planets. Time was the 1st thing created: "In the beginning..." Day and night existed on the first day before the lights in the heavens were created on the fourth day. The heavenly bodies were created to separate times, like days and years, and day and night (Gen.1.14-19).

Returning to the matter of "work" in eternity, it should be noted that there is one type of work (natural) in Genesis 1 (humans ruling over creation in vv.26 and 28) and another type of work (moral) in Genesis 2 (the covenant of works - see the contrast between v. 15 and vv.16-17). That the former, which seems to part of the essence of being human, could continue in eternity seems likely; not so with the latter. At least that is what I think WCF 4.2 is communicating when it states "Beside this law written in their hearts, they received a command not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil..."

Last edited:
Work of course was never wrong it was only after the fall it became a struggle

Genesis 3:19-20 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;” In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”

So in the New Creation of Heaven and Earth I believe there will be work, just that the effects of the fall in relation to it will be removed.

Work of course was never wrong it was only after the fall it became a struggle

Genesis 3:19-20 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;” In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”

So in the New Creation of Heaven and Earth I believe there will be work, just that the effects of the fall in relation to it will be removed.
I do believe we will be "working" in eternity - worshipping God: "And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and his servants shall serve him." (Rev.22.3). I've always felt there is some sense of this in Christ's teaching in Matthew 12.5: "...have ye not read in the Law, how that on the Sabbath days the Priests in the Temple break the Sabbath, and are blameless?" Yes, eternity for the elect will be an everlasting Sabbath/rest, but we will be doing holy work. If the work the priests did on the Sabbath was good and acceptable, how much more so our perfect worship in our eternal rest. Even the earthly Sabbath is not a complete resting - we rest from our normal labors ("an holy rest all the day from their own works"), in order to take up "the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy." (WCF 21.8)

I do believe we will be "working" in eternity - worshipping God: "And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and his servants shall serve him." (Rev.22.3). I've always felt there is some sense of this in Christ's teaching in Matthew 12.5: "...have ye not read in the Law, how that on the Sabbath days the Priests in the Temple break the Sabbath, and are blameless?" Yes, eternity for the elect will be an everlasting Sabbath/rest, but we will be doing holy work. If the work the priests did on the Sabbath was good and acceptable, how much more so our perfect worship in our eternal rest. Even the earthly Sabbath is not a complete resting - we rest from our normal labors ("an holy rest all the day from their own works"), in order to take up "the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy." (WCF 21.8)
We will also be kings... reigning..

This is what i was reflecting on earlier in thinking about this question. I don’t know that we meditate enough on how wholly captivated we will be with our Savior as we behold him in all
His glory. Whatever we do we’ll do it as the angels now do, in glad response to his holy will and our thoughts and love and admiration and sight will never for a second be diverted from him who our souls love.

This article in CT, adapted from Anthony Hoekema's, The Bible and the Future, "Heaven: Not Just an Eternal Day Off", may edify:

Attachments

• Heaven - Not Just an Eternal Day Off | CT.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 3
That depends on how you define "jobs." We will have purpose. "Therefore we faint not, but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed daily. For our light affliction which is but for a moment, causeth unto us a far most excellent and an eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor.4.16-17). I would think that "weight of glory" refers to works of righteousness for " we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ordained" (Eph.2.10). After all, work is not a punishment for sin. We were created to work, so I would think in a new earth we would have new work to do.

There is always the caveat that every detail about heaven is unknown except that we will be united with Christ without sin or its affects. I appreciate this comment because I don’t want to go beyond what has been written (1 Cor. 4:6). The hard part about that and Deut. 29:29 is knowing what exactly are the secret things of the Lord

So are you saying:
1) there will be no work in the new Heaven and the new Earth? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from? See above
2) there will literally no no day and night? If so, what scripture are you deriving this from? Rev.21.23-25 and Rev.22.3-5

3) there will not be a command from God to keep the moral law? What would be the purpose? As a rule of life (in the third use of the law) just like how it is in our lives currently Will commands from God cease entirely and we will be left to do whatever we desire since the only things we will desire are good things? I'm not sure what you mean by "commands" Neither do I but I guess I’m just getting at the idea that anything that God would tell us/ask us to do in Heaven would be a command and therefore be related to the moral law in some way I think I know where the Bible might support that idea but I’ll ask anyway: what scripture are you deriving this from?  Romans can you help me out and give me specific chapters or passages?

Last edited:
This is what i was reflecting on earlier in thinking about this question. I don’t know that we meditate enough on how wholly captivated we will be with our Savior as we behold him in all
His glory. Whatever we do we’ll do it as the angels now do, in glad response to his holy will and our thoughts and love and admiration and sight will never for a second be diverted from him who our souls love.
I think these two responses have so encouraged me in my thoughts regarding the Eternal Sabbath that I really have no further questions. I am once again humbled by how little I think of the wonder of an eternity glorifying and enjoying God will be. Lord, come quickly!

It is possible to view the sabbath in two contexts: at creation, prior to the fall, and after the fall under the law.

Man was created into a pattern of laboring for six days then resting for one, just as his Creator did. After the fall, this pattern was codified in the Mosaic covenant.

The law, however is given for a fallen world that hopes to enter rest after exile (Psalm 95 and Hebrews 3 and 4.) Yes we have an escatological hope, but given our creation to glorify God, why would the creation pattern change? It doesn't follow that man, as he was created pre-fall into a work and rest pattern, would ever leave this blessed cycle.

why would the creation pattern change
Because there will be a new heaven and a new earth. There will be no death and no night. There may be a new work/rest pattern, but it will be different for what will distinguish one day from another when there is no night?
The law, however is given for a fallen world
The law of God existed before the fall of man.
It doesn't follow that man, as he was created pre-fall into a work and rest pattern, would ever leave this blessed cycle
I think it does follow when considering the eternality of the new creation. Before the fall our first parents worked, ate (Gen.1.29-30), and rested. But as the saints before the eternal throne of the Lamb "shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore" (see the end of Rev.7), so it doesn't seem to follow that their glorified bodies will become weary and need rest.

But as the saints before the eternal throne of the Lamb "shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore" (see the end of Rev.7), so it doesn't seem to follow that their glorified bodies will become weary and need rest.

We do know, however, that glorified bodies can still consume food, Luke 24:30, 41-43, Phil. 3:20,21.

Perhaps the best indication that we will still have "work" in the eternal state, is the fact that Adam was given a vocation in his original sinless state (Gen. 2:15).

Last edited:
Because there will be a new heaven and a new earth. There will be no death and no night. There may be a new work/rest pattern, but it will be different for what will distinguish one day from another when there is no night?

The law of God existed before the fall of man.

I think it does follow when considering the eternality of the new creation. Before the fall our first parents worked, ate (Gen.1.29-30), and rested. But as the saints before the eternal throne of the Lamb "shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore" (see the end of Rev.7), so it doesn't seem to follow that their glorified bodies will become weary and need rest.
Before the fall, light was given before God created the means of light, the sun (Gen.1:3, then later Gen 1:14-16). You have light, and the absence of light, in an unfallen world. (I'm avoiding the word darkness because of its synonymous meaning of evil after the fall.)

I don't want to go too far into speculation, but if man had stayed faithful in the probationary period, why would God have changed this fundamental functioning of his world? Will the new world have no water because God frequently used water in judgment? Or can we view the rivers and the sea that separates the land in Genesis as a hope for water that will always give life and never destroy?

Unless one takes a gnostic view of our physical selves, it's reasonable to believe that the physical features of Eden teach us something of the world to come

It is possible to view the sabbath in two contexts: at creation, prior to the fall, and after the fall under the law.

Man was created into a pattern of laboring for six days then resting for one, just as his Creator did. After the fall, this pattern was codified in the Mosaic covenant.

The law, however is given for a fallen world that hopes to enter rest after exile (Psalm 95 and Hebrews 3 and 4.) Yes we have an escatological hope, but given our creation to glorify God, why would the creation pattern change? It doesn't follow that man, as he was created pre-fall into a work and rest pattern, would ever leave this blessed cycle.
That’s what I was thinking. But I also have heard an argument that Adam was in a probationary period and if he had obeyed God in the midst of his temptation, he would’ve entered into an "eternal Sabbath" and the seventh-day rest would become an everyday rest in perfect communion with and worship of God.

At the same time, I believe we will still labor on the New Earth (though not under the curse, of course), so then how can we work in that eternal state while in an "eternal Sabbath" in a way that Adam could not? In other words, in Adam's sinlessness and untainted state, his working on the Sabbath would seemingly be unacceptable, so then why would our working in our final, eternal state in an "eternal Sabbath" be permissible? Would everything we do become "works of piety" like the priests in the OT or pastors in the NT?

Yes - I mentioned this above.
Ah, yes, you did! Thank you for the reminder. I've only recently (past year or so) been studying these things so I appreciate the edifying discussion!

I do understand the reasoning Jesus gave regarding the priests working in the OT, but I guess I just struggle a little bit with the fact that God rested on the 7th day and everything He does is good and pious. Therefore, if God rested one day in seven, then how can we (even in our glorified state) be in a position different from His? Why put us in the "priestly" category? Why not continue to follow the pattern God gave us? Why assume all our work will be like that of priests (OT) and pastors (NT)?

Before the fall, light was given before God created the means of light, the sun (Gen.1:3, then later Gen 1:14-16). You have light, and the absence of light, in an unfallen world. (I'm avoiding the word darkness because of its synonymous meaning of evil after the fall.)

I don't want to go too far into speculation, but if man had stayed faithful in the probationary period, why would God have changed this fundamental functioning of his world? Will the new world have no water because God frequently used water in judgment? Or can we view the rivers and the sea that separates the land in Genesis as a hope for water that will always give life and never destroy?

Unless one takes a gnostic view of our physical selves, it's reasonable to believe that the physical features of Eden teach us something of the world to come
I sympathize with both sides of this discussion but I do think what you are arguing for makes a tad more sense in my mind.

I'm curious what you think about my above reply to Andrew (no pressure to reply, I know we all live very busy lives!)

God did not just rest, He "rested from all His work, which He had made." (Gen.2.2). He did not rest from other activities (like providentially upholding all He had created). Fair point.

Are we not all priests? (1 Peter 2:5) Absolutely. But I'm curious how you are applying that passage in 1 Peter. Aren't we all priests now? If that is the case, then can't all our current work be considered "priestly"? Couldn't I take the John Frame approach to the RPW and say that since all of life (excluding sin, of course) is worship to God, all is permissible on the Lord's day?

John 5:16-17
16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”

In terms of Scripture, God both rested (in one sense) and has never ceased his divine providential upholding of creation. Jesus (since the above quote, which references his incarnation-labor, has both 1) now entered into his rest, Heb.4:10, and 2) has never ceased working as our intercessor, Heb.7:25 (also Rom.8:34), among all his other manifold divine works.

We are not God. We have creaturely need for that communion with God, concerning which the day of rest was instituted. In the age to come, it is not unreasonable--and certainly biblical--to see that there continues to be both ordinary service which we render to God in all our lawful activity; as well as the summons to special seasons of communion with our Maker and Redeemer.

Will those seasons return every seven "days," or however we will mark the passage of time in glory? That seems like a pedantic inquiry. It is sufficient for us to recognize that God will ordain for our needs (such as they are revealed) to be supplied. In that, we will "keep Sabbath" unto our God.

"But I'm curious how you are applying that passage in 1 Peter. Aren't we all priests now? If that is the case, then can't all our current work be considered "priestly"? Couldn't I take the John Frame approach to the RPW and say that since all of life (excluding sin, of course) is worship to God, all is permissible on the Lord's day?"

I would not agree with Frame (if you are representing him correctly). I do not believe all of life is "worship." All in life should be done to the glory of God, but there is still 1 day in 7 set aside (holy) to God, which is why the WCF states "it is of the law of nature that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God." (21.7) When I'm shoveling manure out of my barn I can do so in a way that glorifies God (by not complaining, or by thanking God for giving me the animals who made the mess I have to clean up), but I'm hard pressed to see how that could ever be seen as worship (it's also not something I do on the Lord's Day, as there are clearly things one can take a "holy rest" from).

I've really been appreciating this discussion. My reading has been focused on the sabbath rest as discussed in Hebrews and have been trying to think through the implications. Thanks y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back