search for meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Any good book or video recommendation as a gift for an unbelieving young college student who is aimless and does not know what he wants to do? Would like something that points him to finding meaningfulness in Christ. A "what is the purpose of life" theme would be good.

Chris: Is this a real recommendation (asking b/c of controversy on board)? I have not read it. Isn't it for people who are already Christians?

A real recommendation? Not really. I have read the book and would say yes it is written for the church, but it would put some things in perspective for your misguided friend. He may be enlightened to see what actually drives us which is most likely contrary to what he thinks.

My response was more tongue-in-cheek.

David: The Piper book sounds great. One question - is it written with a non-Christian audience in mind?

What We Can't Not Know by J. Budziszewski

I have not read it, but it is on my wish list. Maybe someone else has a thought. He writes a column for Boundless, a Focus on the Family webzine.

Publisher's web bio

I don't know (obviously) if he would read it, but Derek Kidner's Bible Speaks Today commentary on Ecclesiastes has a fantastic overview, where he deals with the purpose of life. He then proceeds to do a verse-by-verse commentary, and the summaries of the sections also contain some real gold.

Originally posted by Scott
Any good book or video recommendation as a gift for an unbelieving young college student who is aimless and does not know what he wants to do? Would like something that points him to finding meaningfulness in Christ. A "what is the purpose of life" theme would be good.
Scott,

Though it is an evangelistic tool, nonetheless a good little booklet would be Ultimate Issues by John Blanchard.
http://www.evangelicalpress.org/books/Ultimate_Questions.htm

I am recommending this booklet for two reasons; 1) because it addresses the very thing which you've described, and 2) it is brief enough that such a young man might actually read it. If he is given somewhat to a spirit of "aimlessness," I don't think he would be disposed to read something as lengthy as a book. But, of course, I could be wrong.

Moreover, Blanchard, who is British, does write from a Reformed perspective (He's an evangelist), and he understands the mindset of this present age. As a side note, I know from a personal conversation with him, he was invited to pastor Westminster Chapel in London when D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones retired, but declined the invitation.

DTK

Frances Schaeffer: The God Who is There (a lot of philosophy), or He is There and He is not Silent (a much shorter read).

His book on Genesis (name alludes me) is a really good starting place for unbelievers I think. Redirects the thinking about origins and gives Christian answers a framework in reality. Might not work too well if he disregards Genesis altogether though.

Haven't ever given any of them to an un-believing freind though. But he attempts to clearly show how without God, life is meaningless. Others might disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back