Should Ministers Tithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, if minister is convicted to give, wouldn't giving to a missions agency, purchasing supplies for the poor/homeless, supporting another ministry, a publisher etc etc... wouldn't these be considered tithing?

If I decided to forgo supporting my local church and instead sent a check to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, would I be tithing?

On the Presbyterian side, since the pastor (at least in some denominations) is a member of Presbytery, not the local congregation, a case might be made that the pastors donations should go to Presbytery, not the church he serves.

However, if minister is convicted to give, wouldn't giving to a missions agency, purchasing supplies for the poor/homeless, supporting another ministry, a publisher etc etc... wouldn't these be considered tithing?

If I decided to forgo supporting my local church and instead sent a check to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, would I be tithing?

On the Presbyterian side, since the pastor (at least in some denominations) is a member of Presbytery, not the local congregation, a case might be made that the pastors donations should go to Presbytery, not the church he serves.

I agree with Edward in the case of a Reformed or Presbyterian minister's case.

It serves precisely the same purpose as our tithes and eliminates all shadow of redundancy.

The question is, what do you do with a church that has no oversight?

what do you do with a church that has no oversight?

1) Look for a better option (acknowledging that there may not be)
2) Look for the best analog available - likely a cooperative missions agency of the non-denominational denomination.

This whole argument has me thinking: what are arguments against the tithe constituting worship, and where does most of the Board land on that question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverand Buchanan,

I tried accessing this on my phone, but was unable. I'll be trying on a desktop PC later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back