Sign and Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tertullian,

I'd rather not respond point by point to what you said because I believe the difference between our positions can be summed up in the fact that I do not believe being a covenant member is to be equated with regeneration. Of course, I believe we are justified before God by faith alone and that only by the work of regeneration can a man be saved. This has always been true in both OT and NT. But as I view it, asking if somebody is elect or regenerate is not the same as asking if somebody is in covenant.

Thus, I think our approaches to the issue begin with different assumptions.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by luvroftheWord]

[quote:6d071ab76c][i:6d071ab76c]Originally posted by luvroftheWord[/i:6d071ab76c]
Tertullian,

I'd rather not respond point by point to what you said because I believe the difference between our positions can be summed up in the fact that I do not believe being a covenant member is to be equated with regeneration. Of course, I believe we are justified before God by faith alone and that only by the work of regeneration can a man be saved. This has always been true in both OT and NT. But as I view it, asking if somebody is elect or regenerate is not the same as asking if somebody is in covenant.

Thus, I think our approaches to the issue begin with different assumptions.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by luvroftheWord] [/quote:6d071ab76c]

Bingo!:cool:

Baptism seal of destruction?

To my paedo brethren,

I could be wrong but I never read this from any author yet but I could be wrong and not remember but I was researching the baptisms of the family of Noah and the baptism into Moses and found something stricking. I have observed this a couple of years ago but really payed no mind to it until now that is more relevant to me in these recent discussions.

What I noticed is that while Noah and his family were in the ark and being baptised(1 Peter 3:19-21) the children of disobedience were, through this same baptism, experiencing judgment and destruction.

Then in the account of Moses we read that ALL were baptized into Moses when crossing the sea. They "all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink(1 Cor. 10:1-5). What I observed was that these same people who drank from the Rock Christ, were scattered in the wilderness for their disobedience, not all but "most"(verse 5).

Also that same sea which was used to baptize was used for destruction of Pharoah's army. Hmmmm.

I see in these examples that not only is baptism used to signify cleansing but also sealed ones destruction.

Is this a correct correlation or is my observation just coincidental?

I know I didn't articulate this to the outmost perfection but I would like to know if this would be a correct observation and If you guys already new this, if you guys could help in articulating this further and better.

Thanx

In Christ

Roldan

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Roldan]

In response to my earlier admonition, Tyler sent me an email and said:

[quote:ecc008a2e2]Thank you for drawing these quotes to my attention I did not realize that these offended : I will also take responsiblity for my actions and apoligize in person to Rholdan for provoking him I am his freind in person .

To avoid this mess in the future I was hoping you could help me draw some guidlines... so that I would know when I have crossed the line and when I have not: For I honestly did not think I crossed any guidelines.

As you can see I take your words to heart and I know i have sinned...I am not sure what to say... is it possible you could say how I could have better phrased my words or what in the future... do you want me to even continue to post?[/quote:ecc008a2e2]

I replied:

[quote:ecc008a2e2]I appreciate your attitude. And of course we all want you to keep posting! From time to time threads get out of hand and we have to reign it back in. That is all that happened here. The rhetoric got to the point that we were not arguing the point, but opinion......much of it emotionally charged opinion![/quote:ecc008a2e2]

Phillip

[quote:ef6a34ef0a][i:ef6a34ef0a]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:ef6a34ef0a]
In response to my earlier admonition, Tyler sent me an email and said:

[quote:ef6a34ef0a]Thank you for drawing these quotes to my attention I did not realize that these offended : I will also take responsiblity for my actions and apoligize in person to Rholdan for provoking him I am his freind in person .

To avoid this mess in the future I was hoping you could help me draw some guidlines... so that I would know when I have crossed the line and when I have not: For I honestly did not think I crossed any guidelines.

As you can see I take your words to heart and I know i have sinned...I am not sure what to say... is it possible you could say how I could have better phrased my words or what in the future... do you want me to even continue to post?[/quote:ef6a34ef0a]

I replied:

[quote:ef6a34ef0a]I appreciate your attitude. And of course we all want you to keep posting! From time to time threads get out of hand and we have to reign it back in. That is all that happened here. The rhetoric got to the point that we were not arguing the point, but opinion......much of it emotionally charged opinion![/quote:ef6a34ef0a]

Phillip [/quote:ef6a34ef0a]

coo, It is well with my soul!:sunny:

Any takes on my last post, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back