Source for Luther's “race of Christs” quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
Luther supposedly said, “It was God’s intention to have a race of Christs. Nothing less than this is true holiness and the Gospel in operation.”

I have heard people use this quote to support bad theology (always attributed to Luther, though never with a reference).

I would like to see it in context, if anyone here knows where it may be found. Thanks!

I checked the entire works of Luther (including the recently released volumes in the American edition of his complete works) as well as thousands of other books using a variety of search terms from your quote and cannot find it anywhere. It is, however, all over the internet in the writings of errorists, without bibliographic location other than the supposed connection to Luther. Like the popular purported quote about affirming everything except what the devil is now attacking (famously cited by Francis Schaeffer), this appears to be a pseudo quotation. If anyone can locate it in Luther, I would appreciate knowing where.

Thanks! I kind of suspected that to be the case but I don't have access to all of his works in a searchable format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back