Special offer from wtsbooks.com: Baptism: Three Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbryant

Puritan Board Freshman
The Westminster Theological Seminary Bookstore is offering the book "Baptism: Three Views" contributors: Sinclair B. Ferguson, Bruce Ware and Anthony Lane for $4.99 until 8/7/2009 @ 5 PM EDT.

Sinclair Ferguson - Argues for Paedobaptism
Bruce Ware - Argues for Credobaptism
Anthony Lane - Argues for Dual Practice Baptism

That title got me going, that's for sure...all I could come up with was:

1. Paedo
2. Credo
3. None?

I'm not finding the right page (probably operator problems I know! :p) could you post a direct link to the item?

I ordered mine before seeing this thread. 69% off is too much to overlook! This is especially true with their super reasonable shipping deal and no California sales tax!!!

Todd, the three schools of thought respecting baptism are . . .

Credo
Paedo
Alfredo (you use a thick white sauce that goes well with pasta in place of water)

Last edited:
The Evangelical Free model only "works" if you have a fundamental commitment to the idea that baptism isn't really that big a deal. I remember being called a legalist for saying that baptism is not optional. In another conversation, an EFCA elder chided me telling me that the Bible's command to be baptized was not as important as other commands, namely to "love" one another. (Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now...)

I have a great idea for a new denomination. We sprinkle babies according to Col 2 and baptism as circumcision, and do it in the name of the father,son, and Holy Spirit. Then when they get older and show evidence of being born again, we dunk them under according to Romans 6 and death,burial, and resurrection with the Lord. And we do that one in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Everybody wins.

We could even have a third.....if they experience overwhelming joy and assurance we can baptize them with water again as an outward sign of the inward reality of baptism in the holy spirit. I bet if we really work on it we can come up with some more baptisms. Maybe one for American Christians who see the light and vote third party instead of Republican.

Plenty of fringe cults have been started by women...7th day adventists, Christian scientists...even the pretrib rapture doctrine began with some babe. I guess I can run this up a flagpole and see who salutes :)

Plenty of fringe cults have been started by women...7th day adventists, Christian scientists...even the pretrib rapture doctrine began with some babe. I guess I can run this up a flagpole and see who salutes :)

oh. I didn't know that...

I received mine a few weeks ago and it looks like it will be quite helpful in my re-study of this area more important than I had previously thought it to be (you know Baptists, some of us were taught to belieive in the doctrine of the "real absence" of the Lord from communion and that we just "do" baptism 'cus'in he said to do it I guess???).

BTW, since I have begun promulgating the third option to paedo or credo of Alfredo, our church quit fighting over doctrine has an average individual weight gain of 35 lbs but a lot of VERY contented faces during worship. We take the mode to be a combination of sprinkling (get it on everyone in the service) and immersion (drink it in). When combined with a nice gourmet pasta prepared locally, the total effect of the worship "experience" is conducive of a near ecstatic state of carb coma which we find to be the dynamic equivalent of the admonition to "taste" of the Lord. Since 21st century worship is all about me and my experience anyway, it seems to fit in well and proves to be a real evangelistic outreach to "hungry seekers" in our community. Our only difficulty is that we find some people who actually prefer Marinara sauce to Alfredo. And, even after putting our best theologians onto the problem, we have been unable to reconcile the imagery with the biblical teaching on baptism when the ending does not rhyme with paedo and credo in the original English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back