Stonewall Jackson's Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
No question that Jackson was a staunch Southern Presbyterian. Dabney even worked for him for a time.

I once heard that Dabney turned up for battle carrying an umbrella. :eek:

Well, it was raining bullets.....:p

Sorry.....

During that war my great-great grandfather was a farmer in Arkansas. The record shows that he was in the Confederate Army and fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge.

His name was Thomas Keeling and he was Irish.

Yes some Irishmen fought for the CSA; John Mitchell, one of the Young Irelanders (who launched a farcical rebellion in 1848), fought for the CSA partly because he believed the North's aggression was inspired by the British.

It would be interesting to see a study of how many Irishmen, and specifically Fenians (who were anti-Catholic Irish Republicans at that time), fought for the CSA.

I once heard that Dabney turned up for battle carrying an umbrella. :eek:

Sorry.....

During that war my great-great grandfather was a farmer in Arkansas. The record shows that he was in the Confederate Army and fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge.

Yes some Irishmen fought for the CSA; John Mitchell, one of the Young Irelanders (who launched a farcical rebellion in 1848), fought for the CSA partly because he believed the North's aggression was inspired by the British.

It would be interesting to see a study of how many Irishmen, and specifically Fenians (who were anti-Catholic Irish Republicans at that time), fought for the CSA.

The Keelings arrived in the New World some time around 1650. There is no record of them being Catholic.

Sorry.....

The Keelings arrived in the New World some time around 1650. There is no record of them being Catholic.

Where did they live in America?

The Song of the Rebel Irish was painful to listen to.

From a perspective of living in Northern Ireland, that is understandable.

As one seeing it in the context of the War of Northern Aggression, I can appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong: I would be an Irish Nationalist if all Ireland was Protestant. I also dislike British imperialism, and would prefer an independent NI until the rest of the Island turns from popery; it was the poor singing which I found painful

Pea Ridge is a great visit for an historically interested family. My wife and I have been there several times with our kids/grandkids. Living in So.Cal. we feel so cut off from the BIG events of American history. Visiting some of these historical sites is a real thrill for me. And, yes, some of my relatives evidently fought on the confederate side too.

Pea Ridge is a great visit for an historically interested family. My wife and I have been there several times with our kids/grandkids. Living in So.Cal. we feel so cut off from the BIG events of American history. Visiting some of these historical sites is a real thrill for me. And, yes, some of my relatives evidently fought on the confederate side too.

Living here in Virginia, you can't hardly spit in any direction without hitting a sign commemorating an event from the War Between the States. But apparently, according to Wikipedia, there were at least 88 battles fought in California too.

Living just south of Springfield, Illinois I hear and see a lot of Lincoln's praises. I would much rather hear and see the praises of the likes of Stonewall, even if it is a little out of hand at times. The more I read history the more repulsed I am when I read Lincoln's quotes and see his statues in the area. How would you like to be in a place that idolized Lincoln?:chained: I would love to be in the South again.

Living just south of Springfield, Illinois I hear and see a lot of Lincoln's praises. I would much rather hear and see the praises of the likes of Stonewall, even if it is a little out of hand at times. The more I read history the more repulsed I am when I read Lincoln's quotes and see his statues in the area. How would you like to be in a place that idolized Lincoln?:chained: I would love to be in the South again.

Judging by your Avatar are you not a bit young to be an ordained pastor, and to comment on such historical issues?

My great great great grandfather Phillip Bible Speegle was a Confederate soldier as were many distant relatives of mine that I have little knowledge toward.

What is so fascinating about Phillip Bible Speegle is that the man's stubbornness was an asset and a strength, a rare commodity indeed.

His toes were ambutaed due to frost bite on one of his feet and he continued to march into battle the next day with bandages saturated in blood.

Miraculously his body seemed immune to infection as over the course of the conflict he was shot three times, once in the breast and twice in the femur, he refused surgery which would've meant amputation and was often left for dead in hospital beds.

He did not die, truth is his stubbornness may have saved him from the horrors of the insanitary medical practices of the day.

He lived to be 94 and passed away in 1920!

Sadly his own son was cut in half by a German machine gun in World War I.

He never trusted the Federal Government after the Civil War and demanded to open the casket of his slain son himself upon the return of his body to be sure he wasn't being lied to by Washington.

Supposedly he let go of whatever bitterness he harbored toward Uncle Sam after his dead son was returned to him and buried respectfully.

Judging by your Avatar are you not a bit young to be an ordained pastor, and to comment on such historical issues?

This is a comment made in jest, right?

This is a comment made in jest, right?

:lol: Of course, can't resist a jest - I'm an Ulsterman.

:p - Wheeew! You made me nervous there, Daniel. :lol:

:lol: Why? :scratch:

DOH! He changed his avatar! :lol: He had a picture of himself up there a few minutes ago! :lol:

Now I know what you were talking about! I thought for a minute there you were really giving this poor fellow a hard time about being a young minister.

That explains it. :confused: A baby who is still being spoon-fed should not be commenting on these issues; then again, maybe he is a homeschooled genius?

Actually that is my wife holding my youngest son, not my mother holding me. If you are referring to my previous avatar, that is me at age 32, loooking about 22. As far as I know 32 is not too young to be a pastor or somewhat versed in history and able to dialogue.

:p - Wheeew! You made me nervous there, Daniel. :lol:

:lol: Why? :scratch:

DOH! He changed his avatar! :lol: He had a picture of himself up there a few minutes ago! :lol:

Now I know what you were talking about! I thought for a minute there you were really giving this poor fellow a hard time about being a young minister.

I thought you may have been jesting, but I have been ripped for being young before. Yet, this will pass before I know it. Then thay will be saying I am too old and have lost my mind.

Actually that is my wife holding my youngest son, not my mother holding me. If you are referring to my previous avatar, that is me at age 32, loooking about 22. As far as I know 32 is not too young to be a pastor or somewhat versed in history and able to dialogue.

No, brother, he was not referring to your previous avatar. He was just making a joke pretending that was you in your new avatar. It was I that thought for a moment he was saying something about your previous avatar, and as a fellow 32 year old ordained minister I was ready to come to your defense. ;)

I thought you may have been jesting, but I have been ripped for being young before. Yet, this will pass before I know it. Then thay will be saying I am too old and have lost my mind.

Brother,

There's no question that a lot people think of ministers as being in their 50's, 60's and 70's.

I struggled with this for quite some time, and yet I shudder to think about how inexperienced and young I was when I took my current church almost 7 years ago. I still have a lot to learn, but there's no question that the experience I have gained in the pastorate can never be diminished. Seminary can teach one a lot of things, but it cannot give that individual the experience to learn how to minister like on the job training.

Living here in Virginia, you can't hardly spit in any direction without hitting a sign commemorating an event from the War Between the States. But apparently, according to Wikipedia, there were at least 88 battles fought in California too.

I believe you but have NEVER heard anyone mention that in my 54 years in this state.

No, brother, he was not referring to your previous avatar. He was just making a joke pretending that was you in your new avatar. It was I that thought for a moment he was saying something about your previous avatar, and as a fellow 32 year old ordained minister I was ready to come to your defense. ;)

Your avatar makes you look much older than I expected, I have never seen such an old young man.:lol:

Your avatar makes you look much older than I expected, I have never seen such an old young man.:lol:

Avatar? I thought that was his photograph! And, on the avatar for PGW, I thought that "he" had VERY long hair for an ordained Southern Baptist.

Randy (Puritan Covenanter) inspired me with his beard, so I decided to just let mine go. Then he went and shaved his off. :think:

Actually, my avatar is John G. Paton. He's one of the most beloved saints that I have come to know through print.

I had a great, great grandfather who served in the Civil War for the Army of the Potomac. Served 30 years in the Army. His wife made a placard for him after he retired as an Ordnance Sergeant. The placard lists the battles he fought in. It's pretty much a list of every major battle of the Civil War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back