Technical Difficulties on the PB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark-Tillian

Puritan Board Freshman
Friends,

I was advised by an Administrator to post a thread on the technical issues I'm having on the PB. I'm not using the phone app; always on my laptop. Here are the problems:

1. If I switch between forums, or pages within a thread, then the site logs me out.

2. I cannot italicize anything, nor do emojis (agh!).

3. I am also unable to quote only part of another person's post, which is useful. I have to cut, paste, and use quotation marks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using a script blocker? I was having problems with the quote function a few weeks ago, and had to adjust what I was letting through the NoScript. If so, I'll be happy to go through my settings with you.

I do not know what a script blocker is!

Are you using a script blocker? I was having problems with the quote function a few weeks ago, and had to adjust what I was letting through the NoScript. If so, I'll be happy to go through my settings with you.

For what it's worth, if I scroll down the page to the end, all if the functions are set to "On"--including smilies--which I cannot insert. I'm not enamored of the things, but it's indicative that something is amiss. Below I'll show what the various smilies post for me, as opposed to the image.

:lol::book2::offtopic::bueller:

Well the smilies are working today, so don't I feel silly! I could care less about them; being logged out by the site and the inability to interact with threads are the real issues.

If you can't do emoji, it's probably a font issue. They're part of newer fonts, as part of the unicode standard. I haven't seen much, if any, use of them here though.

Edit: Hmm, they seem to not be working for me when I save, even though they appear in the text editing field.

Edit 2: They appear to work when added in the 'advanced' editor.

Have you tried clearing your cookies and cache? Restarting your computer? I'm not experiencing the problem.

Apparently I can today--thus far, that is, if smilies are emojis. Agreed, they're superfluous most times. Although, I've got a tough guy RE on my Session that I love sending "tears and smiling faces" to as a joke--which he finds simultaneously amusing and confusing.

If you can't do emoji, it's probably a font issue. They're part of newer fonts, as part of the unicode standard. I haven't seen much, if any, use of them here though. ��

Edit: Hmm, they seem to not be working for me when I save, even though they appear in the text editing field.

Rich,

Someone mentioned, behind the curtains, that you're the resident whiz on these things. I'll do those things, pronto. A "restart" is not the same as shutting the machine down and then starting it up again, correct?

Rich,

Someone mentioned, behind the curtains, that you're the resident whiz on these things. I'll do those things, pronto. A "restart" is not the same as shutting the machine down and then starting it up again, correct?

Shutting down and turning back on is fine. Sometimes that can clear things up.

What operating system and browser are you using ? Windows, and internet explorer ? Sometimes a change in browser might be helpful, in case the re-boot doesn't improve things. Also, on the logging you out issue, when you sign in there is a little box to check, 'remember me'. If it is not checked the system will log you out. Always check 'remember me' when you log back in.

I shut it down whenever I'll off it for more than a few hours--it's older and gets hot. I also clear everything at least 3x per week, if not more. However, I just did all you suggested. We'll see how things go.

this is a test to see if italics, bold, and underlinging are working

Rich,

Shutting down and turning back on is fine. Sometimes that can clear things up.

Thanks, I seem good to go. Technology is a gift when used properly. I cannot imagine what MORE an Augustine, Calvin, Turretin, or Warfield could have accomplished with the tech we have today. I'm also fairly certain that aspirin and ibuprofen would have aided them at times.

Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox. I'll try Chrome later and see if anything changes. I don't use IE anymore.

What operating system and browser are you using ? Windows, and internet explorer ? Sometimes a change in browser might be helpful, in case the re-boot doesn't improve things. Also, on the logging you out issue, when you sign in there is a little box to check, 'remember me'. If it is not checked the system will log you out. Always check 'remember me' when you log back in.

Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox. I'll try Chrome later and see if anything changes. I don't use IE anymore.

I have no problems running Mozilla Firefox, on a linux mint OS. Haven't tried chrome since mozilla is so good. Hope all the issues you were having are ironed out.

Mozilla Firefox

I recommend NoScript (but as I noted above, it requires fine tuning what you let through to make a particular site usable) Ad Block Plus (doesn't seem to impact PB) and Ghostery (I block 3 of the 4 trackers on PB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back