The book of Psalms, Hope for the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
The book of Psalms, hope for the poor

The first mention of the poor puts their hope in God

The twin songs, Psalms 9 and 10, open. Songs about the triumph over the Goliath of evil in the world

The hope of the poor. There will be deliverance of the poor from the Goliath of evil
Psalm 9:18
For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.

Goliath fell, but do did Jonathan. So did an unnamed baby, Amnon and Absalom.
A lament. The triumph over evil is here and not yet but will surely come.
Hot pursuit by the wicked. Arrogant, that he might disrespect the poor and not be taken into account. The wicked pursue themselves.
Psalm 10:2
In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised.

Ambush laid for the poor like a lion for prey
Psalm 10:9
he lurks in ambush like a lion in his thicket; he lurks that he may seize the poor; he seizes the poor when he draws him into his net.

Psalm 9 perhaps written after a goliath like triumph.
Psalm 10 perhaps written after a tragedy like the death of Absalom.
Victory and sadness combined.
Titled 'Death of a son'
Combining a victory song and a lament over evil which itself looks forward to a triumph over evil, a future hope.
And the ultimate triumph over evil in the death of the Son.

The faithful has vanished, but God himself will arise.
God moved to arise for the poor, moved by their suffering, holding out a promise of security
Psalm 12:5
“Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, I will now arise,” says the Lord; “I will place him in the safety for which he longs.”

The fool who says in their heart there is no God, rebuked for mistreatment of the poor
Psalm 14:6
You would shame the plans of the poor, but the Lord is his refuge.

God is near to the brokenhearted and a poor man crying to God, yet telling others that even in this 'taste and see that the Lord is good'
Psalm 34:6
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.

All my bones in agreement and saying together that you are the helper of the poor. I know this in the deepest parts of me.
Psalm 35:10
All my bones shall say, “O Lord, who is like you, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him, the poor and needy from him who robs him?”

Wicked armed to the teeth to bring down the poor, to kill the righteous, yet the meek shall inherit the earth.
Psalm 37:14
The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows to bring down the poor and needy, to slay those whose way is upright;

Jesus became poor for us, a help for us and a deliverer for us.
Psalm 40:17
As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!

Blessed is the man who considers the poor and I am in need of grace and poor
Psalm 41:1
[ O Lord, Be Gracious to Me ] [ To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. ] Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him;

Both rich as poor need to hear God’s words. All with face death, yet there is hope in God and only in God.
Psalm 49:2
both low and high, rich and poor together!

I recognize that I am poor and needy
Psalm 70:5
But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!

Part of Solomon’s greatness of rule, and the greatness of the greater than Solomon’s rule is that they deal with the poor with righteousness and justice
Psalm 72:2
May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice!

Actively defending the poor and the children of the less fortunate
Psalm 72:4
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!

Hearing the complaint and acting on the complaint of the poor
Psalm 72:12
For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper.

An encouragement to pray for protection for the poor by example of this Psalm
Psalm 74:19
Do not deliver the soul of your dove to the wild beasts; do not forget the life of your poor forever.

An encouragement to pray for protecting the dignity and hope of the poor by example of this Psalm
Psalm 74:21
Let not the downtrodden turn back in shame; let the poor and needy praise your name.

An encouragement to pray or by example of this Psalm
Psalm 86:1
[ Great Is Your Steadfast Love ] [ A Prayer of David. ] Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.

The bad example of the wicked
Psalm 109:16
For he did not remember to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and the brokenhearted, to put them to death.

The identification with the poor and realization God is at the right hand of the poor
Psalm 109:22
For I am poor and needy, and my heart is stricken within me.

The generosity of the blessed man. The charity of God made more clear in the blessed man.
Psalm 112:9
He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

The lifting up of the poor man. The beginning of the exodus celebration Psalms.
Psalm 113:7
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap,

In David's final run of eight Psalms
All kings will sing of God
All Flesh will bless you
And the poor will be satisfied
Psalm 132:15
I will abundantly bless her provisions; I will satisfy her poor with bread.

The last mention of the poor puts their hope in God

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back