The enjoyment of God as a promising God

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:48:

All the enjoyment we have of God in this life, is enjoying of him as a promising God. Pray now which way is it that there is that intercourse, and that familiarity, that mutual dealing between God and us, that is called by those blessed names in the word: fellowship with him, enjoyment of him, finding of him? All stands in this: we approach to God by the warrant of his promise; he draws near to us according to his promise, and in the fulfilment of it. The promise is as it were Jacob’s ladder, by which God comes down to us, and we rise up to him again. The communion which believers have on earth is with God as a promising God; and the communion the glorified have with him above, is with God as a performing God; and, if I may so speak, until God has performed all he has promised, he must never lose the name of a promising God to a believer.

Some promises are indeed hard to grasp and this one is one I am trying to hold on to with all my might.

John 16:33

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:48:

All the enjoyment we have of God in this life, is enjoying of him as a promising God. Pray now which way is it that there is that intercourse, and that familiarity, that mutual dealing between God and us, that is called by those blessed names in the word: fellowship with him, enjoyment of him, finding of him? All stands in this: we approach to God by the warrant of his promise; he draws near to us according to his promise, and in the fulfilment of it. The promise is as it were Jacob’s ladder, by which God comes down to us, and we rise up to him again. The communion which believers have on earth is with God as a promising God; and the communion the glorified have with him above, is with God as a performing God; and, if I may so speak, until God has performed all he has promised, he must never lose the name of a promising God to a believer.

Amen. Water to my thirsty soul is He.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back