The Perfect Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Puritan Board Freshman
Recently, I've been making flash cards of verses to memorize.

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. - Colossians 3:14

Memorizing verses is the only way to readily use them in conversation. I like the KJV, because love is frequently translated charity. Charity is a particular love, and it is charity, I think Paul is saying, is the perfect religere: one's bond. Religion comes from the ancient Latin word to moor a ship and double bind the ship to her docks. One's religion is the double bond; or the binding of man to his God, and God to his creature-image. A covenant, if you will.

The perfect bond is charity, the Bible says; our religion is supposed to be charitable in all things. What does this mean to me? It means, when my brother offends me, I forgive him out of that same charity that is a fruit of the Spirit. It means when I doubt, I am charitable to my Lord, and say thank you for the air in my lungs, that I may work. It means doubly God will never leave me nor forsake me in the storm, but has bound me in covenant religere to his safe harbors.

Just some thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back