Theology of Pipe-Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThirdandReformedAdam

Puritan Board Freshman
Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere on the board, but I was wondering what exactly the argument in favor of pipe-smoking is? I notice that many of my reformed brethren find no fault in taking up the practice in moderation, claiming it to be no different from eating chocolate in moderation (which, by the way, may be the greatest stumbling block to my sanctification). However, I've always struggled with that logic, as I have a hard time finding any reliable data that states that smoking is anything other than terrible for one's health (in moderation or not). I am simply curious as to how my brethren practice this with a clear conscience. (Just to be clear, I am not attacking my brethren who smoke. Rather, I know that they must do this with good reason, and I am simply curious as to how they believe their smoking brings glory to God.)

I enjoy drag racing.....far more dangerous than a good Romeo y Juliet now and again. The point is, there are many otherwise good things that God has given that can kill you; being bitten by a rattler while out enjoying His creation, Falling off a cliff while hiking, car accident on the way to yummy dinner with friends... I live in Chicago. Every time I go down I-55 into the city, my lungs are filled with unknown chemicals from the factories. I suppose one could argue I'm putting myself in harm's way going to work. I'm told often that the chemicals in my processed food will kill me one day because they are so bad.....should I not eat?

How would you respond to someone who said that those risks are relatively minor risks, but smoking is taking a rather large and ill-advised gamble? (I feel like that would be a natural response)

From what I have heard, which may or may not be accurate, pipe-smoking is nowhere near as big a potential health risk as smoking cigarettes. As someone with asthma, however, it would be very unwise for me ever to take up the practice.

Since I smoke, maybe, 4 good cigars a year, those other things are far and away more risky. I would probably ask if they've drive to work in a big city while everyone is texting....way more dangerous.....

I remember my dad giving up his pipe, about 45 years ago now, when the evidence became clear that smoking was unhealthy. I think that was a wise and godly choice. But we also have a measure of freedom to enjoy activities that carry some risk; we shouldn't condemn everyone who continues a habit that might be somewhat unhealthy. From what I know about pipe smoking, there is some health risk but it is not so reckless a habit as to be necessarily off limits for any believer.

We have a men's cigar and whiskey night once a month at our church. It's pretty cool. We talk life and theology and enjoy good organic tabacco and some good liquor:) Hey wasn't Spurgeon a big cigar smoker? And at my old church our whole congregation used to meet at a Irish Pub for beer and pipe tabacco, cigars and cigarettes. We actually got to meet people there and invited them to church and a couple of them actually came.

Last edited:
Indeed Spurgeon was a cigar smoker, and so I've been told, was John Murray. I know of at least one OPC pastor who is a cigar smoker, in moderation of course, but not my pastor. Since I've been smoking tobacco pipes for decades, as did my father before me, I took some solace in reading that CH Spurgeon was a cigar smoker. In Spurgeon, A New Biography, by Arnold Dallimore. On pages 179-181 the author recounts Spurgeon inviting an American Baptist pastor, Dr.George F. Pentacost to the MTP.

Spurgeon preached a sermon on the necessity of giving up sin in order to have success in prayer. After he concluded Spurgeon invited Dr. Pentacost to speak at the pulpit. Dr Pentacost , probably not knowing that CHS smoked cigars characterized the practice as sinful, and recounted his own personal battle in giving up the personal pleasure, characterizing it as, "an enslaving habit and one that the Christian must look on as sin."

Dallimore continues,"We must assume that if ever in his lifetime Spurgeon was embarrassed it was now! He arose and stated :

Well, dear friends, you know that some men can do to the glory of God what to other men would be a sin. And notwithstanding what Brother Pentacost has said, I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God before I go to bed to-night. If anyone can show me in the Bible the command 'Thou shalt not smoke' I am ready to keep it, but I haven't found it yet. I find ten commandments, and it is as much as I can do to keep them: and I've no desire to make them eleven or twelve"

He goes on in this rebuttal, but my fingers, plagued by arthritis, are tired, and it is late. It does say that the last couple of years of his life CHS apparently gave up smoking, but there is no record of his reasons. The author seems to be very opposed to the practice, a Baptist so goes with the territory I guess. At least it was frowned upon in the Baptist congregations I attended before I switched to the OPC. I was very pleased to see that Presbyterians, in my experience, do not condemn pipes or cigars. Of course everyone hates cigarettes, and rightfully so.

I like the smell of a good pipe tobacco, and some folks appear to enjoy the filling, cleaning, etc.

Back in the day, folks smoked pipes or cigars in much the same way as others handled cigarettes. They were addicted (which is a problem) and faced lung issues and mouth cancers.

What I hear my reformed friends doing is much different: an occasional enjoyment with their buds. Dare I say it: decently and in order :)

I have heard of Spurgeon's love of cigars (though I have also heard that he suffered from headaches because he was addicted to nicotine; don't know if there is any truth to that). I believe *some* pipe-smokers come across as offensive to non-smoking Christians because of an ideology they hold which says, "It's not strictly forbidden, so I'm going to enjoy it," rather than, "I do this to bring glory to God." Again, that obviously doesn't have to be the pipe-smokers ideology, but I believe it can easily come across that way.

I have heard of Spurgeon's love of cigars (though I have also heard that he suffered from headaches because he was addicted to nicotine; don't know if there is any truth to that). I believe *some* pipe-smokers come across as offensive to non-smoking Christians because of an ideology they hold which says, "It's not strictly forbidden, so I'm going to enjoy it," rather than, "I do this to bring glory to God." Again, that obviously doesn't have to be the pipe-smokers ideology, but I believe it can easily come across that way.

The problem is non-smokers ask the question expecting to be returned a correct answer in their mind. Regardless of how the answer is given, it is seldom satisfactory. When one is seeking to rebuke instead of understand (as a pretense) he will always find the other "offensive." The psychologists call it passive aggression. I say this as a man who quit smoking entirely over eight years ago.

"The following poem, the second part of which, was wrote by Mr. [Ralph] Erskine, is here inserted, to fill up this page, as a proper subject of meditation to Smokers of Tobacco.

Smoking Spiritualized. In Two Parts. The first part being an old meditation upon smoking tobacco; the second, a new addition to it, or improvement of it.

This Indian weed now wither´d quite,
Though green at noon, cut down at night,
Shows thy decay;
All flesh is hay.
Thus think, and smoke tobacco.

The pipe so lily-like and weak,
Does thus thymortal state bespeak.
Thou are ev´n such,
Gone with a touch.

All when the smoke ascends on high,
Then thou behold´st the vanity
Of worldly stuff,
Gone with a puff.

And when the pipe grows foul within,
Think on thy soul defil´d with sin;
For then the fire,
It does require.

And seest the ashes cast away;
Then to thyself thou mayest say,
That to the dust
Return thou must.

Part II

Was this small plant for thee cut down?
So was the Plant of great renown;
Which mercy sends
For nobler ends.

Doth juice medicinal proceed
From such a naughty foreign weed?
Then what´s the pow´r
Of Jesse´s flow´r?

The promise, like the pipe inlays,
And by the mouth of faith conveys
What virtue flows
From Sharon´s rose.

In vain the´unlighted pipe you blow;
Your pains in outward means are so,
Till heav´nly fire
The heart inspire.

The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs;
So should a praying heart of yours,
With ardent cries,
Surmont the skies.
Thus think, and smoke tobacco."
From The Sermons, and Other Practical Works of Ralph Erskine (Glasgow: Robert Urie for John Newlands, 1764), 2.662.

I've heard smoking a tobacco pipe has health benefits. It's a deeply relaxing and de-stressing activity. One study I came across (I don't remember where) actually showed a bump in life expectancy for men who smoke tobacco pipes in moderation.

In recent years, it seems -and I am not exempting m'self from having been temporarily caught up in it during my first years of exposure to Reformedom- that a sort of Bohemian attitude has surrounded libations, tobacco, etc. amongst reforming and Calvinistic folk. Sometimes, it appears to be a badge of identity, or even a rite of passage. The question these days is not Do you like beer? but rather -with assumption that everyone Reformed smokes, drinks, etc.- Which is your favorite beer/ tobacco/ scotch/ pistol/ beard style?

Please do not misunderstand me. I enjoy a good brew, scotch, and, formerly, a bowl of pipe tobacco, on occasion. So I am not saying such things are inherently wrong (see the J.G. Vos piece referenced above). I would, however, caution folks to be careful in their indulgence of such things. And let us not stop there: This caution must apply to food, leisure, and recreations as well. It is easy to be carried away by the over-indulgence of any of these things and -when pricked in conscience, or by the faithful wounds of a friend- cry "Christian Liberty!" rather than to do the hard work of self-examination.

When the Apostle says we are to -whether we eat, drink, or whatever we do- do all things to the glory of God, He has in mind that we make use of our work, our play, our entertainments, and our rest all in such a way so as to subdue them each to the reign of Christ. For some, this may mean cutting things out altogether. For others, cutting back. Our best efforts are to be spent toward doing all the words of the Law, and all of the aforementioned (recreation, labor, rest, etc.) might be helpful means toward supporting that end. More often than not, however, they are hindrances to our growth, and sometimes little steps to apostasy. If we find that the application or misapplication of any of those actually hinders our sanctification endeavors, we must reassess their importance and or necessity.

We have a men's cigar and whiskey night once a month at our church. It's pretty cool. We talk life and theology and enjoy good organic tabacco and some good liquor:) Hey wasn't Spurgeon a big cigar smoker? And at my old church our whole congregation used to meet at a Irish Pub for beer and pipe tabacco, cigars and cigarettes. We actually got to meet people there and invited them to church and a couple of them actually came.

I have never heardof that before in a curch, sounds interesting.
I have heard of them having a wine and cheese tasting time.So you meet right in the church building then?

I've heard smoking a tobacco pipe has health benefits. It's a deeply relaxing and de-stressing activity. One study I came across (I don't remember where) actually showed a bump in life expectancy for men who smoke tobacco pipes in moderation.
I've read it has hormetic benefits.

In recent years, it seems -and I am not exempting m'self from having been temporarily caught up in it during my first years of exposure to Reformedom- that a sort of Bohemian attitude has surrounded libations, tobacco, etc. amongst reforming and Calvinistic folk. Sometimes, it appears to be a badge of identity, or even a rite of passage. The question these days is not Do you like beer? but rather -with assumption that everyone Reformed smokes, drinks, etc.- Which is your favorite beer/ tobacco/ scotch/ pistol?

Please do not misunderstand me. I enjoy a good brew, scotch, and, formerly, a bowl of pipe tobacco, on occasion. So I am not saying such things are inherently wrong (see the J.G. Vos piece referenced above). I would, however, caution folks to be careful in their indulgence of such things. And let us not stop there: This caution must apply to food, leisure, and recreations as well. It is easy to be carried away by the over-indulgence of any of these things and -when pricked in conscience, or by the faithful wounds of a friend- cry "Christian Liberty!" rather than to do the hard work of self-examination.

When the Apostle says we are to -whether we eat, drink, or whatever we do- do all things to the glory of God, He has in mind that we make use of our work, our play, our entertainments, and our rest all in such a way so as to subdue them each to the reign of Christ. For some, this may mean cutting things out altogether. For others, cutting back. Our best efforts are to be spent toward doing all the words of the Law, and all of the aforementioned (recreation, labor, rest, etc.) can be helpful means toward that end. More often than not, however, they can become hindrances to our growth. If we find that the application or misapplication of any of those actually hinders our sanctification endeavors, we must reassess their importance and or necessity.

I'll second Joshua's comment. I've been smoking in moderation for about seven or eight years (ever since I came to a Reformed persuasion, really). Over the last year, my tobacco use has increased significantly. I don't think I've crossed over into the realm of immoderatation, and I don't think I'm addicted, but my use has become much more regular than it ever has been. As such, I am currently reevaluating my practice. Excess and addiction are real dangers that I am now much more aware of, and I have to check myself.

Tobacco users and prospective tobacco users should take these things seriously. The price of sinning against a holy God is too great.

In vain the´unlighted pipe you blow;
Your pains in outward means are so,
Till heav´nly fire
The heart inspire.

I love this. The entire poem is wonderful, but this stanza in particular is rich. I can't speak for everyone, but for a pipe smoker like myself, it is a vivid and apt illustration.

I have heard of them having a wine and cheese tasting time.So you meet right in the church building then?
No we don't own a church building, we meet at a members house. But at my old church it was a bar or Irish Pub.

There could be legal issues in some areas regarding drinking in a church building (besides wine, of course)

I've had friends that were hesitant to come to church, so in the past I've invited them to one of these events and they enjoyed it and got to know Christians at someplace where they felt more comfortable, and then after a beer or two with a smoke they felt more comfortable coming to visit the church since they got to know the people first. So I've seen it work out pretty well a few times.

Sometimes people think Christians dont drink or smoke like we're Mormons or something. LOL

In recent years, it seems -and I am not exempting m'self from having been temporarily caught up in it during my first years of exposure to Reformedom- that a sort of Bohemian attitude has surrounded libations, tobacco, etc. amongst reforming and Calvinistic folk. Sometimes, it appears to be a badge of identity, or even a rite of passage. The question these days is not Do you like beer? but rather -with assumption that everyone Reformed smokes, drinks, etc.- Which is your favorite beer/ tobacco/ scotch/ pistol?

I concur; there is an unhealthy focus on these things in Reformed-ish circles today. I recently saw a meme where someone had turned the famous images of the purported progression of evolution from ape to man, only it was a theological evolution to Presbyterian. The Presbyterian was a man in a suit with a pipe and a beer stein. Why do a pipe and beer stein identify someone as Presbyterian? I think all of this is an immature overreaction to the Arminian Baptist backgrounds many in the YRR movement have.

I concur; there is an unhealthy focus on these things in Reformed-ish circles today. I recently saw a meme where someone had turned the famous images of the purported progression of evolution from ape to man, only it was a theological evolution to Presbyterian. The Presbyterian was a man in a suit with a pipe and a beer stein. Why do a pipe and beer stein identify someone as Presbyterian? I think all of this is an immature overreaction to the Arminian Baptist backgrounds many in the YRR movement have.

That is exactly my impression as well; it is a form of immature triumphalism. It is almost as if these YRR-types are rubbing it in the faces of the older generation, but they forget that Christian liberty is to be used to edify your brother and build him up in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back