This was said by Samuel Rutherford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Did Samuel Rutherford say "Whenever I find myself in the cellar of affliction, I always look about for the wine" ― Samuel Rutherford (1637). Also rendered in a book of Puritan quotations under a heading “The secret formula of the saints” as “when I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord's choicest wines.” Not that I can find. And if the reference is indeed 1637, that means to his letters while he was imprisoned in Aberdeen deprived of his ministry in Anwoth. He uses the metaphor in several letters from 1637 as well as earlier and later. The 1st paraphrase particularly loses Rutherford's use of the metaphor. The second is better but you lose context as well. After you read the below the paraphrases seem almost crass like 'always look on the bright side.' I stand be corrected but I've been looking a while and cannot trace either paraphrase back to Rutherford; I like the below better. For one, they sound like him!

I thank the Lord for borrowed crumbs, no less than when I feasted at communion table at Anwoth and Kirkubright. Pray that I may get one day of Christ in public, such as I have had long since, before my eyes be closed. Oh that my Master would take up house again, and lend me the keys of His wine-cellar again, and God send me borrowed drink till then!

Oh that all the young heirs would seek more, and a greater, and nearer communion with my Lord Tutor, the prime heir of all, Christ! I wish that, for my part, I could send you ... into the King's innermost cellar and house of wine, to be filled with love. A drink of this love is worth the having indeed.

The assurance of Jesus' love ... Oh that ye knew and felt it, as I have done! I wish you a share of my feast; sweet, sweet hath it been to me. If my Lord had not given me this love, I should have fallen through the causeway of Aberdeen ere now! But for you, hing on; your feast is not far off; ye shall be filled ere ye go. There is as much in our Lord's pantry as well satisfy all His bairns, and as much wine in His cellar as will quench all their thirst.

Wish I'd found that the first 60 seconds I spent on this; it looks like I just repeated the research. Andrew does give the Beeke reference I could not access; and confirms it doesn't help. I think it is simply an nineteenth century overmuch paraphrase of those places; possibly some places in the communion sermons but since sometimes the 1637 date is attached I think the letters are intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back