We are an Inheritance to the Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJClark

Puritan Board Doctor
We had a guest pastor (Mike Glodo; A Prof at RTS; Graduate of CTS in St. Louis; candidate for WTS) at church Sunday and one of the many things he said that jumped out at me was "we are an inheritance to the Lord" so as I've been thinking about this..I look at that statement I find myself asking..."what does it mean to be an inheritance?" I look at the word inheritance..and I typically think of it as something we leave our children when we die..

1. something that is or may be inherited; property passing at the owner's death to the heir or those entitled to succeed; legacy.

2. the genetic characters transmitted from parent to offspring, taken collectively.

3. something, as a quality, characteristic, or other immaterial possession, received from progenitors or predecessors as if by succession: an inheritance of family pride.

4. the act or fact of inheriting by succession, as if by succession, or genetically: to receive property by inheritance.

5. portion; birthright; heritage: Absolute rule was considered the inheritance of kings.

In this case, God, the Father is giving *us* as an inheritance to Jesus the Son, those who will spend eternity with Him. So what type of inheritance will we be for Him to receive? Will we be a piece of coal? Or a sparkling 10ct diamond? Will we be an old house that should be condemned and torn down? Or will we be an old has that has already been renovated and ready to enjoy, filled with furnishings that are both pleasant to the eye, as well as having the scent of home cooking and sweet spices? When we are presented to the Son as His inheritance upon our death, what will He be getting?

but it's more than that, it also mentions genetic characteristics, so we must ask what are these genetic characteristics that have been passed down? They would be the fruit of the spirit; love, joy, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control ect..(Gal. 5: 22-23) all of those things of great quality are included in this inheritance of us to Christ from God the Father.

As I sit and meditate on this..I find myself asking, what kind of inheritance do I want to be when I am presented to Christ when God calls me home?

What about you; What kind of inheritance do you want to be when you are presented to Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back