Were the Israelites supposed to serve as missionaries to the nations in the OT, at least once the Canaanites were destroyed?

pgwolv

Puritan Board Freshman
We see in Genesis 12:3 that through Abraham, all the nations of the earth would be blessed, and that was fulfilled in Christ according to the epistle to the Galatians.

In Psalm 96:3 and 96:10, we see a call to declare the glory and sovereignty of the Lord among the nations.

In Isaiah 42:6, we see that God will give Israel as a covenant for the people and a light for the nations. Is this only to be fulfilled in Christ?

In Acts 13:47, it seems that Paul is appropriating prophecy to the NT missionaries, that they are the light to the Gentiles.

We see the ultimate fulfillment in Christ in e.g., Romans 15:8-12.

I cannot remember where, but long ago I heard that Christ came to fulfill the prophecy that the Israelites failed to fulfill. Is there truth to this? Can anyone point me to helpful resources?

Some individuals were called to be - Jonah.
But the main missionary work is actually people visiting Israel - i.e Queen of Sheba. This was the focus of Solomon's prayer when the temple was built. The foreigner would call upon the name of the LORD.

In the NT, the people of God are now dispersed.

We see in Genesis 12:3 that through Abraham, all the nations of the earth would be blessed, and that was fulfilled in Christ according to the epistle to the Galatians.

In Psalm 96:3 and 96:10, we see a call to declare the glory and sovereignty of the Lord among the nations.

In Isaiah 42:6, we see that God will give Israel as a covenant for the people and a light for the nations. Is this only to be fulfilled in Christ?

In Acts 13:47, it seems that Paul is appropriating prophecy to the NT missionaries, that they are the light to the Gentiles.

We see the ultimate fulfillment in Christ in e.g., Romans 15:8-12.

I cannot remember where, but long ago I heard that Christ came to fulfill the prophecy that the Israelites failed to fulfill. Is there truth to this? Can anyone point me to helpful resources?
By its constitution and existence Isr was the light and the declaration, situated amidst the other nations. The present day NT church fulfills a similar role. There is a fulfillment in Christ, a perfection if you will, but the church on earth is still his imperfect analog.

It is easier or more natural for the church to fulfil the missionary enterprise, precisely because it is situated in a dispersed condition. The few Israeites who went abroad from the land would be foreign witnesses, but clearly this was not the average farmer's role. Average Joel would be witness to his neighbors, his fellow parishioners.

As influence and conversion are always the work of the Spirit, God would have done above and beyond what imagination or effort could do in those ancient times based on the faithful actions of the humblest Israelite. Even now he does the work, as we faithfully witness each of us in his own way as NT members of his church/people.

By its constitution and existence Isr was the light and the declaration, situated amidst the other nations. The present day NT church fulfills a similar role. There is a fulfillment in Christ, a perfection if you will, but the church on earth is still his imperfect analog.

It is easier or more natural for the church to fulfil the missionary enterprise, precisely because it is situated in a dispersed condition. The few Israeites who went abroad from the land would be foreign witnesses, but clearly this was not the average farmer's role. Average Joel would be witness to his neighbors, his fellow parishioners.

As influence and conversion are always the work of the Spirit, God would have done above and beyond what imagination or effort could do in those ancient times based on the faithful actions of the humblest Israelite. Even now he does the work, as we faithfully witness each of us in his own way as NT members of his church/people.
Thanks for responding. That makes sense.

I like “average Joel”!

Some individuals were called to be - Jonah.
But the main missionary work is actually people visiting Israel - i.e Queen of Sheba. This was the focus of Solomon's prayer when the temple was built. The foreigner would call upon the name of the LORD.

In the NT, the people of God are now dispersed.
Thanks for the input.

This isn't much of an argument, but the way I've always heard it put is that in the OT the primary model was "come and see" and now in the NT the model is "go and tell".

Deuteronomy 4:5,6,7,8 Moses speaking:

Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for? And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day? [emphasis added]​

Just by keeping the commandments and thus being a holy nation would have spoken loudly to the surrounding nations – but they didn't (save for a small remnant), and came under God's just judgment.

I think that's what made the great commission so significant because up to that point, Israel was not called to proclaim repentance outside of their nation (other than a handful of cases - e.g. Jonah). Now the apostles were to take God's salvation outside of Israel to make the Jews jealous. (Matt. 24:14, Rom. 11:11)

Back